Re: dried meat in russia?

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2003
      I've always assumed the large number of recipes that require meat to
      be boiled relates to salting/drying/smoking as the number 1
      preservation method (I figure ice houses are second in northern lands
      unless you are in a permafrost area, but maybe pickeling is second).
      There are specific references to dried salted pork and the like
      packed in barrels, for military rations.
      -Rick

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <jenne@f...> wrote:
      > I'm going to be going back to playing around with the cabbage/greens
      > serving suggestion in the Domostroi, and I'm wondering if I can use
      > piece of elk jerky I have lying around (yes, I know that kind of
      > hunter...)
      >
      > I don't remember seeing references to dried meat in my sources for
      Russia.