dried meat in russia?

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2003
      I'm going to be going back to playing around with the cabbage/greens
      serving suggestion in the Domostroi, and I'm wondering if I can use a
      piece of elk jerky I have lying around (yes, I know that kind of
      hunter...)

      I don't remember seeing references to dried meat in my sources for Russia.
      Anyone else recall anything?

      "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists certainly as love and
      generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to
      your life its highest beauty and joy." -- Francis P. Church
    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 2003
        I've always assumed the large number of recipes that require meat to
        be boiled relates to salting/drying/smoking as the number 1
        preservation method (I figure ice houses are second in northern lands
        unless you are in a permafrost area, but maybe pickeling is second).
        There are specific references to dried salted pork and the like
        packed in barrels, for military rations.
        -Rick