Re: book on novogrod & moscow textils

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2003
      I also got a copy of Polskie tkaniny i hafty (polish fabrics and
      embroidery)
      XVI-XVIII wieku by Tadeusz Ma┬┤nkowski, 1954. While the usefulness is
      limited as the real title should be "Polish fabrics and embroidery of
      kings, bishops and top tier magnates", it has a lot of neat stuff
      anyway and lots of pictures. It has chapters on various sorts of
      fabrics, such as one on
      Kilim carpets and one on pile carpets. Interesting that if a rich guy
      wanted a carpet featuring his COA in the design he might commission
      it from a Turkish supplier (presumabally in the balkans someplace,
      maybe even from a place like buda or pest), or it might be made in
      Poland. Either way, it looks like you would expect a
      turkish/persian carpet to look, except for the COA in the design.
      That is also interesting becuase in the early 19th C., an englishman
      might use the term 'Polish Carpet' for any generic eastern carpet
      where we would today use the term 'Turkish (or persian) Carpet'. It
      even has a whole chapter on
      tents, including pictures of 16th-18th C. Polish-made tents as well
      as the turkish
      ones. The polish -made tents are just like the turkish tents, but have
      variations on decorative themes.

      While I do (slowly) read and translate from Polish, this sort of
      stuff is an extra tough slog.
      -Rick
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <jenne@f...> wrote:
      > I just got, via ILL, a book by Adam Nahlik in Polish. Help from any
      Polish
      > speakers will be appreciated... the title is
      > _Tkaniny We[slashed l]niane Importowane I Miejscowe Nowogrodu
      Wielkiego
      > X-XV Wieku._
      >
      > It's got no pictures of garb, but for the string fanatics it's got
      lovely
      > close-ups of weaves and also what looks like micrography scans of
      some
      > sort.
      >
      > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@f...
      > ".. objections to the evils of political correctness have become a
      > hypocritical reflex that lets people justify all kinds of rude
      behavior
      > while telling themselves that they're actually standing up for
      freedom and
      > values and tradition and stuff."
      > -- Phil Agre, author, Red Rock Eater News Service.
    • Kythe
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 23, 2003
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <jenne@f...> wrote:
        > I just got, via ILL, a book by Adam Nahlik in Polish. Help from any
        Polish
        > speakers will be appreciated... the title is
        > _Tkaniny We[slashed l]niane Importowane I Miejscowe Nowogrodu
        Wielkiego
        > X-XV Wieku._

        Tissues in (to) [ l ] imported < import > slashed niane and local
        great century (age) Nowogrodu X-XV

        as per the online dictionairy-
        http://www.poltran.com/pl.php4