RE: [sig] book on novogrod & moscow textils

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2003
      Adam Nahlik is a textile researcher/historian/archeologist who publishes
      almost exclusively in Polish (drat!). He has written about the
      techniques of the textile industry through the 10th - 15th centuries and
      recorded and analyzed medieval Polish-Russian textile deposits in about
      the same time period. Most of the books on medieval textile finds have
      at least one of his writings in their bibliography. I'm sure there's
      more that he has done but I haven't paid too much attention as I can't
      read it either :(
      If someone were to translate this, I'd LOVE to have a copy!!!!!!!

      Maria P

      I just got, via ILL, a book by Adam Nahlik in Polish. Help from any
      Polish
      speakers will be appreciated... the title is
      _Tkaniny We[slashed l]niane Importowane I Miejscowe Nowogrodu Wielkiego
      X-XV Wieku._

      It's got no pictures of garb, but for the string fanatics it's got
      lovely
      close-ups of weaves and also what looks like micrography scans of some
      sort.

      -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2003
        I also got a copy of Polskie tkaniny i hafty (polish fabrics and
        embroidery)
        XVI-XVIII wieku by Tadeusz Ma┬┤nkowski, 1954. While the usefulness is
        limited as the real title should be "Polish fabrics and embroidery of
        kings, bishops and top tier magnates", it has a lot of neat stuff
        anyway and lots of pictures. It has chapters on various sorts of
        fabrics, such as one on
        Kilim carpets and one on pile carpets. Interesting that if a rich guy
        wanted a carpet featuring his COA in the design he might commission
        it from a Turkish supplier (presumabally in the balkans someplace,
        maybe even from a place like buda or pest), or it might be made in
        Poland. Either way, it looks like you would expect a
        turkish/persian carpet to look, except for the COA in the design.
        That is also interesting becuase in the early 19th C., an englishman
        might use the term 'Polish Carpet' for any generic eastern carpet
        where we would today use the term 'Turkish (or persian) Carpet'. It
        even has a whole chapter on
        tents, including pictures of 16th-18th C. Polish-made tents as well
        as the turkish
        ones. The polish -made tents are just like the turkish tents, but have
        variations on decorative themes.

        While I do (slowly) read and translate from Polish, this sort of
        stuff is an extra tough slog.
        -Rick
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <jenne@f...> wrote:
        > I just got, via ILL, a book by Adam Nahlik in Polish. Help from any
        Polish
        > speakers will be appreciated... the title is
        > _Tkaniny We[slashed l]niane Importowane I Miejscowe Nowogrodu
        Wielkiego
        > X-XV Wieku._
        >
        > It's got no pictures of garb, but for the string fanatics it's got
        lovely
        > close-ups of weaves and also what looks like micrography scans of
        some
        > sort.
        >
        > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@f...
        > ".. objections to the evils of political correctness have become a
        > hypocritical reflex that lets people justify all kinds of rude
        behavior
        > while telling themselves that they're actually standing up for
        freedom and
        > values and tradition and stuff."
        > -- Phil Agre, author, Red Rock Eater News Service.
      • Kythe
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2003
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <jenne@f...> wrote:
          > I just got, via ILL, a book by Adam Nahlik in Polish. Help from any
          Polish
          > speakers will be appreciated... the title is
          > _Tkaniny We[slashed l]niane Importowane I Miejscowe Nowogrodu
          Wielkiego
          > X-XV Wieku._

          Tissues in (to) [ l ] imported < import > slashed niane and local
          great century (age) Nowogrodu X-XV

          as per the online dictionairy-
          http://www.poltran.com/pl.php4