book on novogrod & moscow textils

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2003
      I just got, via ILL, a book by Adam Nahlik in Polish. Help from any Polish
      speakers will be appreciated... the title is
      _Tkaniny We[slashed l]niane Importowane I Miejscowe Nowogrodu Wielkiego
      X-XV Wieku._

      It's got no pictures of garb, but for the string fanatics it's got lovely
      close-ups of weaves and also what looks like micrography scans of some
      sort.

      ".. objections to the evils of political correctness have become a
      hypocritical reflex that lets people justify all kinds of rude behavior
      while telling themselves that they're actually standing up for freedom and
      values and tradition and stuff."
      -- Phil Agre, author, Red Rock Eater News Service.
    • Linda
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2003
        Adam Nahlik is a textile researcher/historian/archeologist who publishes
        almost exclusively in Polish (drat!). He has written about the
        techniques of the textile industry through the 10th - 15th centuries and
        recorded and analyzed medieval Polish-Russian textile deposits in about
        the same time period. Most of the books on medieval textile finds have
        at least one of his writings in their bibliography. I'm sure there's
        more that he has done but I haven't paid too much attention as I can't
        read it either :(
        If someone were to translate this, I'd LOVE to have a copy!!!!!!!

        Maria P

        I just got, via ILL, a book by Adam Nahlik in Polish. Help from any
        Polish
        speakers will be appreciated... the title is
        _Tkaniny We[slashed l]niane Importowane I Miejscowe Nowogrodu Wielkiego
        X-XV Wieku._

        It's got no pictures of garb, but for the string fanatics it's got
        lovely
        close-ups of weaves and also what looks like micrography scans of some
        sort.

        -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
      • Rick Orli
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2003
          I also got a copy of Polskie tkaniny i hafty (polish fabrics and
          embroidery)
          XVI-XVIII wieku by Tadeusz Ma┬┤nkowski, 1954. While the usefulness is
          limited as the real title should be "Polish fabrics and embroidery of
          kings, bishops and top tier magnates", it has a lot of neat stuff
          anyway and lots of pictures. It has chapters on various sorts of
          fabrics, such as one on
          Kilim carpets and one on pile carpets. Interesting that if a rich guy
          wanted a carpet featuring his COA in the design he might commission
          it from a Turkish supplier (presumabally in the balkans someplace,
          maybe even from a place like buda or pest), or it might be made in
          Poland. Either way, it looks like you would expect a
          turkish/persian carpet to look, except for the COA in the design.
          That is also interesting becuase in the early 19th C., an englishman
          might use the term 'Polish Carpet' for any generic eastern carpet
          where we would today use the term 'Turkish (or persian) Carpet'. It
          even has a whole chapter on
          tents, including pictures of 16th-18th C. Polish-made tents as well
          as the turkish
          ones. The polish -made tents are just like the turkish tents, but have
          variations on decorative themes.

          While I do (slowly) read and translate from Polish, this sort of
          stuff is an extra tough slog.
          -Rick
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <jenne@f...> wrote:
          > I just got, via ILL, a book by Adam Nahlik in Polish. Help from any
          Polish
          > speakers will be appreciated... the title is
          > _Tkaniny We[slashed l]niane Importowane I Miejscowe Nowogrodu
          Wielkiego
          > X-XV Wieku._
          >
          > It's got no pictures of garb, but for the string fanatics it's got
          lovely
          > close-ups of weaves and also what looks like micrography scans of
          some
          > sort.
          >
          > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@f...
          > ".. objections to the evils of political correctness have become a
          > hypocritical reflex that lets people justify all kinds of rude
          behavior
          > while telling themselves that they're actually standing up for
          freedom and
          > values and tradition and stuff."
          > -- Phil Agre, author, Red Rock Eater News Service.
        • Kythe
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 23, 2003
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <jenne@f...> wrote:
            > I just got, via ILL, a book by Adam Nahlik in Polish. Help from any
            Polish
            > speakers will be appreciated... the title is
            > _Tkaniny We[slashed l]niane Importowane I Miejscowe Nowogrodu
            Wielkiego
            > X-XV Wieku._

            Tissues in (to) [ l ] imported < import > slashed niane and local
            great century (age) Nowogrodu X-XV

            as per the online dictionairy-
            http://www.poltran.com/pl.php4