SCOUT: Russia Engages the World

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2003
      I hope our Russian members won't be offended, but there are a number of
      interesting works on this New York Public Library site, as reviewed by the
      Internet Scout Report:

      13. Russia Engages the World, 1453-1825 [Macromedia Flash Reader]
      http://russia.nypl.org/

      Designed to coincide with the 300th anniversary of the most cosmopolitan
      city, St. Petersburg, this lovely online exhibit on Russia's emergence as
      a modern empire that began with the fall of Constantinople in 1453 and
      continued unabated for three centuries. The exhibit itself was
      underwritten by the Boris Jordan Family, with additional support from the
      Samuel H. Kress Foundation and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
      Appropriately, each section of the exhibit has been divided largely by
      various rulers (such as Catherine the Great and Emperor Alexander I), and
      includes an essay that provides viewers with a broad portrait of the
      various cultural, political, and technological transformations made within
      each era. The essays are well complemented by a number of visual
      accompaniments, such as an intricate 17th-century view of Moscow from the
      New York Public Library and a portrait of the Muscovite ruler Tsar Mikhail
      Romanov. [KMG]

      "And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
      yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_