Eastern european Footwear

  • Rischa
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
      I am a relative newcomer to the SCA and have gotten into recreating
      period footwear.
      I have been looking for any reference for Pattens, wooden soled
      shoes, clogs or other direct reference to wooden footwear from about
      1200-1500. Russia, Hungary Romania wherever in eastern europe? It
      seems like most of the art I can find is contemporary and not any
      primary source art. Still looking...
      Surely Pattens werent a strictly western europe thing, seeing as
      poulaines originally came from the east...
      Along the same lines, Wooden ice skates? Any reference? I recall
      seeing some national geographic article about skates and how theyve
      been used for hundreds of years in russia, primarily. They might fall
      into my timeline, and scope of intrest.
      Thanks for your help, this is a very intresting group.
      Rischa
    • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2003
        I've got some drawings of wooden skates with (I believe) metal blades from an archeological survey; I'll scan them in and post them in the files section tonight (Pacific Time!).

        --Kseniia

        Along the same lines, Wooden ice skates? Any reference? I recall
        seeing some national geographic article about skates and how theyve
        been used for hundreds of years in russia, primarily. They might fall
        into my timeline, and scope of intrest.

        Lady Kseniia Smol'nyanina
        Barony of Three Mountains
        kseniia@...