Re: [sig] Looking for So. Cal SCA, need opinions on new book

  • Charles Richter
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2003
      Su Ralston wrote:

      >Being a totally unrepentant book-buyer, I was browsing through a used book
      >store over the weekend and came across "Medieval Russia's Epic, Chronicles, and Tales" edited by serge A Zenkovsky (ISBN 0-525-47363-7).
      >
      >My question is this - before I start reading this and thinking what is
      >written is accurate, has anyone else read this book, and what did you think?

      It's probably the best collection of Russian literature of the time
      period, although I know that some scholars are not entirely happy with
      Zenkovsky's translations. Few challenges are made to assumed
      authorship--more information has been unearthed since the complilation
      that would contradict some of Zenkovsky's claims. The book is
      definitely worth reading for a decent sampling of the texts available,
      though. For serious study, I'd recommend reading some of the more
      recent papers related to the selections.

      Hope you enjoy it!

      Charles Richter