Re: [sig] Looking for So. Cal SCA, need opinions on new book

  • Charles Richter
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2003
      Su Ralston wrote:

      >Being a totally unrepentant book-buyer, I was browsing through a used book
      >store over the weekend and came across "Medieval Russia's Epic, Chronicles, and Tales" edited by serge A Zenkovsky (ISBN 0-525-47363-7).
      >
      >My question is this - before I start reading this and thinking what is
      >written is accurate, has anyone else read this book, and what did you think?

      It's probably the best collection of Russian literature of the time
      period, although I know that some scholars are not entirely happy with
      Zenkovsky's translations. Few challenges are made to assumed
      authorship--more information has been unearthed since the complilation
      that would contradict some of Zenkovsky's claims. The book is
      definitely worth reading for a decent sampling of the texts available,
      though. For serious study, I'd recommend reading some of the more
      recent papers related to the selections.

      Hope you enjoy it!

      Charles Richter
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
        In a message dated 11/30/2003 11:07:25 PM Central Standard Time,
        suralston@... writes:
        Being a totally unrepentant book-buyer, I was browsing through a used book
        store over the weekend and came across "Medieval Russia's Epic, Chronicles,
        and Tales" edited by serge A Zenkovsky (ISBN 0-525-47363-7).
        It's a collection of exerpts -- the main texts that all those interested in
        medieval Russia should be familiar with. For anyone who doesn't read Russian,
        it's a basic text. Go for it.

        Predslava.

      • Shannon Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
          The Epics Chronicles and Tales book is very nice. I
          have it...It was used for the Russian Civilization
          courses at the University of Chicago, where I went. It
          has a nice introduction section. The rest is collected
          period works. The translations are pretty good, I am
          told. Though I am partial to the Nabokov translation
          of the Igor tale...

          Margarita

          =====
          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • LiudmilaV@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
            In a message dated 11/30/2003 9:07:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            suralston@... writes:
            Being a totally unrepentant book-buyer, I was browsing through a used book
            store over the weekend and came across "Medieval Russia's Epic, Chronicles,
            and Tales" edited by serge A Zenkovsky (ISBN 0-525-47363-7).

            My question is this - before I start reading this and thinking what is
            written is accurate, has anyone else read this book, and what did you think?

            Thanks in advance,
            Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
            Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA
            I have this, Mistress Su, and it is a good book. One of these days I might
            even try memorizing some of it for Pentathlon.

            Liudmila