Looking for So. Cal SCA, need opinions on new book

  • Su Ralston
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2003
      > Subject: Re: [Polska_Reustawa] Re: Welcome group!
      >
      > In a message dated 11/26/2003 8:46:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > wngdhussr@... writes:
      > Witam Tom!
      > I was wondering, could you put me directly in touch with the Slavic
      > (Polish/Muscovy)representations of the SCA out here on the West
      > coast, specifically So. CAl.?
      > I'm trying to get in touch with them, and don't know how to target
      > them directly...
      > Thanks, and welcome to the group.
      > Na zdrowia,
      > Rik
      > p.s. Happy Turkey Day all!

      I currently live in Caid (Fullerton, CA), but your best bet might be to
      contact Lady Luidmila at liudmilav@... or Mistress Soraya at
      sarayya@.... They are both on this list, so you could wait for
      them to get back to you, or contact them directly with your questions.

      Now to my question -

      Being a totally unrepentant book-buyer, I was browsing through a used book
      store over the weekend and came across "Medieval Russia's Epic, Chronicles,
      and Tales" edited by serge A Zenkovsky (ISBN 0-525-47363-7).

      My question is this - before I start reading this and thinking what is
      written is accurate, has anyone else read this book, and what did you think?

      Thanks in advance,
      Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
      Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA
    • Charles Richter
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2003
        Su Ralston wrote:

        >Being a totally unrepentant book-buyer, I was browsing through a used book
        >store over the weekend and came across "Medieval Russia's Epic, Chronicles, and Tales" edited by serge A Zenkovsky (ISBN 0-525-47363-7).
        >
        >My question is this - before I start reading this and thinking what is
        >written is accurate, has anyone else read this book, and what did you think?

        It's probably the best collection of Russian literature of the time
        period, although I know that some scholars are not entirely happy with
        Zenkovsky's translations. Few challenges are made to assumed
        authorship--more information has been unearthed since the complilation
        that would contradict some of Zenkovsky's claims. The book is
        definitely worth reading for a decent sampling of the texts available,
        though. For serious study, I'd recommend reading some of the more
        recent papers related to the selections.

        Hope you enjoy it!

        Charles Richter
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
          In a message dated 11/30/2003 11:07:25 PM Central Standard Time,
          suralston@... writes:
          Being a totally unrepentant book-buyer, I was browsing through a used book
          store over the weekend and came across "Medieval Russia's Epic, Chronicles,
          and Tales" edited by serge A Zenkovsky (ISBN 0-525-47363-7).
          It's a collection of exerpts -- the main texts that all those interested in
          medieval Russia should be familiar with. For anyone who doesn't read Russian,
          it's a basic text. Go for it.

          Predslava.

        • Shannon Anderson
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
            The Epics Chronicles and Tales book is very nice. I
            have it...It was used for the Russian Civilization
            courses at the University of Chicago, where I went. It
            has a nice introduction section. The rest is collected
            period works. The translations are pretty good, I am
            told. Though I am partial to the Nabokov translation
            of the Igor tale...

            Margarita

            =====
            Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
            http://companion.yahoo.com/
          • LiudmilaV@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
              In a message dated 11/30/2003 9:07:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              suralston@... writes:
              Being a totally unrepentant book-buyer, I was browsing through a used book
              store over the weekend and came across "Medieval Russia's Epic, Chronicles,
              and Tales" edited by serge A Zenkovsky (ISBN 0-525-47363-7).

              My question is this - before I start reading this and thinking what is
              written is accurate, has anyone else read this book, and what did you think?

              Thanks in advance,
              Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
              Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA
              I have this, Mistress Su, and it is a good book. One of these days I might
              even try memorizing some of it for Pentathlon.

              Liudmila