Kunen as trade currency? polish question

  • redlocks999
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2003
      I have been doing some background research for my persona and came across a
      document titled "Privileges Granted to German Merchants at Novgorod, 1229:"
      Pertaining to the western terminus of the northern caravan route from Asia. Can
      anyone confirm that a Kunen is a fish? They must have been good eating ; )

      KUNEN: Same as cunen; possibly from tuna, a marten. (Polish.)
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2003
        In a message dated 11/5/2003 5:37:10 PM Central Standard Time,
        redlocks999@... writes:
        KUNEN: Same as cunen; possibly from tuna, a marten. (Polish.)
        No, kuna (kunen looks like a German plural) is the pelt of martens used as
        currency in Novgorod. Verified and stamped by an official. Not just any pelt.

        Predslava.