Re: Polish Stuff

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
      A new edition is out in english.
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Butler309@a... wrote:
      > My notes were a timeline begun for my own purposes when i was
      developing my
      > SCA personna. The majority came from:
      >
      > ' The Formation of the Polish State' by Tadeusz Manteuffel,
      trans by Andrew
      > Gorski (Wayne State University Press, 1982)
      >
      > with additions from most of the standard English sources. Sadly,
      I did not
      > start out to share/publish them and, therefore, didn't footnote (I
      can't tell
      > what came from where!!). They were originally submitted to SLOVO
      with a
      > disclaimer to the effect that they were non-professional, and that
      I had selected
      > from conflicting sources as I saw fit. I am not a historian, nor
      can I read
      > Polish. My timeline for the 10th-12th centuries can be found at:
      > http://slavic.freeservers.com/Poland1.html and I would be honored
      and
      > overjoyed if you would review it and send me corrections and
      comments. (off-list
      > would probably be best if they are extensive)
      >
      > About the best primary source I can find referenced for this
      period is the
      > chronical of Gallus Anonim (the Anonymous Gall), which doesn't
      seem to be
      > available in English. I have it in Latin and Polish, but can't
      read either. If
      > anyone knows of a translation TELL ME!!!!
      >
      > In a message dated 10/27/2003 02:36:01 Central Standard
      Time, "P&MSulisz"
      > <pmsulisz@o...> writes:
      > > Chorazy (vexillifer) Responsible for standards and banners
      (standard-
      > bearer?
      > > Herald?)
      > Only this forst meaning. Herald is 'herold'.
      > In SCA usage, this would be a particular Herald's job. Diff
      Kingdoms have
      > different titles Beacon Herald, Pennon Herald, etc. In the
      Society, a lot of
      > different jobs came under the general heading of Herald.
      >

      > > Czelnik (chel-neek) - Clan or tribal headman
      > Mistake! Naczelnik - is the right word - the rest is correct!
      > So how is Naczelinik different from Czelnik? Regional or
      historical variants?

      > > Dupa - Butt
      > be careful with this word!!! ;) It has few meanings!
      > Oooooooh!! Tell me more!!!! I collect polyglot scatology.
      >

      > > Dziedzic (pl Dziedzice) - freeman, yeoman
      > Not! The right meaning: the heir. Somone who has inherited the
      property (or
      > is going to), the owner, Lord.
      > Is it possible that this refers/refered in general to one who
      owns, or will
      > inherit land? Land ownership was the big divider in those
      days . . . could one
      > be a landowner, but still not Szlachta?
      >
      > > GROD (var. Grody) - STRONGHOLD
      > Rather: fortified town. Stronghold is : twierdza (tviertdca)
      >
      > Notes updated
      >
      > > Lazekowie - Pioneer freemen, homesteaders.
      > ???? I dont know this word.
      >
      > I'll try to find the reference, but I (sadly) didn't note it, and
      it may be
      > an obscure, archaic word. If I remember correctly this refered to
      people who
      > settled conquered lands in places like Prussia.
      >

      > > Namiestnik - District governor over several Kasztelan. ex.
      Magnus of
      > Silesia
      > namiestnik = governer, someone in behalf of the king
      > Silesia was never ruled by 'namiestnik' only by its owns dukes.
      >
      > All I can find in my notes is that Magnus was Kasztelan of
      Wroclaw. I don't
      > remember why I refer to him as Magnus of Silesia, unless he was
      From Silesia .

    • Butler309@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
        In a message dated 11/5/2003 03:01:20 Central Standard Time,
        sig@yahoogroups.com writes:
        A new edition is out in english
        A new edition of what? Details?

        - Steve Butler

      • Rick Orli
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
          look on the web for 'Gesta principum Polonorum' Deeds of the princes
          of the Poles' (by the anon gaul)
          -Rick