Re: [sig] Numbering centuries

  • Shannon Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2003
      so a more sig-like topic...
      I know that early russian dates work differently, I
      just don't remember how. I know that their years were
      different than the roman calendar and I would assume
      their centuries as well. I read about this once...
      Oh and the orthodox church uses different years. How
      does that relate to medieval years? Days?

      Can anyone clear this up? Bonus points for doing it in
      5 sentences or less. Extra bonus points for creating a
      mnemonic device to help me remember this time!

      ;) thanks

      Margarita

      =====
      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
        X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

        The Julian Calendar was used in Russia up to the 19th century. Many Orthodox
        churches continue to use the Julian calendar for religious holidays.

        Years were reckoned according to the year of creation, 5508 years before
        Christ. So most of the time you can get away with adding 5508 to the year.

        I don't remember right off when medieval Russians celebrated the new year, nor
        do I remember if they concerned themselves with numbering centuries the way we
        do. Somehow, I suspect they didn't.

        In service,
        Sofya la Rus

        > Quoting Shannon Anderson <kitonlove@...>:
        >
        > I know that early russian dates work differently,

        ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
        ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
        ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
      • Nenad Lockic
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
          > I know that early russian dates work differently, I
          > just don't remember how. I know that their years were
          > different than the roman calendar and I would assume
          > their centuries as well. I read about this once...
          > Oh and the orthodox church uses different years. How
          > does that relate to medieval years? Days?
          > Margarita

          Some orthodox churches (Russian, Greek oldcalendar, Serbian, O.C. in
          America) use old (Julian) calendar while Roman Catholic and all states
          use official Gregorian calendar. The difference between these calendars
          is 13 days (November 15th in those orthodox churches is dated as
          November 2nd; November 6th is October 24th because October have 31 days
          and 31+6-13=24). But this is only valid for 20. and 21. century. The
          problem is because Julian calendar (reformed by Julius Caesar count
          every fourth year as a 366 days long year (with February 29th). It is
          easy to remembar because years when are summer Olimpic games are 366
          days long by Julian calendar.

          Gregorian calendar, estabilished by pope Gregorius in 16th century, is
          reformed Julian calendar. Year is not long exatly 365days and 6 hours
          (as Julian calendar counts) and in 16th century was difference betweem
          March 21th and real equinox of 10 years. Gregorius deleted the
          difference, but made and the rule for "secular" years (1600, 1700, 1800,
          1900 etc.) So, "secular" years have 366 only if century number is
          devided with 4 without a rest (1600, 2000, 2400 etc. because 16:4=4,
          etc.). So, at 18th century the difference between calendars was 11 days,
          at 19th century was 12 days, at 20th and 21st centiry is 13 days, at 22
          century it will be 14 days.

          In medieval time in orthodox church was in use counting of years by
          Byzantic calendar from the begining of the world, similar as Jewish
          calendar. This calendar start with New Year on September 1st (Church New
          Year). Also was and counting years by indicts, but it is a long story.

          Some orthodox churches (Romania, Greek-newcalendar etc.) use Gregorian
          calendar when are fixed holidays, but the Easter and holidays conected
          to the Easter are by Julian calendar. But, this is a modern use in those
          churches.

          If tou need detailed information see some encyclopedia or send me a
          message on personal e-mail.

          Regards,
          Nenad
        • Alastair Millar
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2003
            > (smart, young whippersnappers...grumble ;)

            *grin*
            Not been called "young" for a while, thanks! ;-)

            A.