RE: [sig] Numbering centuries

  • purplkat@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2003
      Actually I use a simpler therom-

      Statement: The 1900's were called The 20th Century

      So therefore any century is one number less.... ie - 15th C is 1400's, 6th
      C is 500's, and so on....

      Lot easier for me
      Lady Katheryne

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2003
        so a more sig-like topic...
        I know that early russian dates work differently, I
        just don't remember how. I know that their years were
        different than the roman calendar and I would assume
        their centuries as well. I read about this once...
        Oh and the orthodox church uses different years. How
        does that relate to medieval years? Days?

        Can anyone clear this up? Bonus points for doing it in
        5 sentences or less. Extra bonus points for creating a
        mnemonic device to help me remember this time!

        ;) thanks

        Margarita

        =====
        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
          X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

          The Julian Calendar was used in Russia up to the 19th century. Many Orthodox
          churches continue to use the Julian calendar for religious holidays.

          Years were reckoned according to the year of creation, 5508 years before
          Christ. So most of the time you can get away with adding 5508 to the year.

          I don't remember right off when medieval Russians celebrated the new year, nor
          do I remember if they concerned themselves with numbering centuries the way we
          do. Somehow, I suspect they didn't.

          In service,
          Sofya la Rus

          > Quoting Shannon Anderson <kitonlove@...>:
          >
          > I know that early russian dates work differently,

          ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
          ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
          ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
        • Nenad Lockic
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
            > I know that early russian dates work differently, I
            > just don't remember how. I know that their years were
            > different than the roman calendar and I would assume
            > their centuries as well. I read about this once...
            > Oh and the orthodox church uses different years. How
            > does that relate to medieval years? Days?
            > Margarita

            Some orthodox churches (Russian, Greek oldcalendar, Serbian, O.C. in
            America) use old (Julian) calendar while Roman Catholic and all states
            use official Gregorian calendar. The difference between these calendars
            is 13 days (November 15th in those orthodox churches is dated as
            November 2nd; November 6th is October 24th because October have 31 days
            and 31+6-13=24). But this is only valid for 20. and 21. century. The
            problem is because Julian calendar (reformed by Julius Caesar count
            every fourth year as a 366 days long year (with February 29th). It is
            easy to remembar because years when are summer Olimpic games are 366
            days long by Julian calendar.

            Gregorian calendar, estabilished by pope Gregorius in 16th century, is
            reformed Julian calendar. Year is not long exatly 365days and 6 hours
            (as Julian calendar counts) and in 16th century was difference betweem
            March 21th and real equinox of 10 years. Gregorius deleted the
            difference, but made and the rule for "secular" years (1600, 1700, 1800,
            1900 etc.) So, "secular" years have 366 only if century number is
            devided with 4 without a rest (1600, 2000, 2400 etc. because 16:4=4,
            etc.). So, at 18th century the difference between calendars was 11 days,
            at 19th century was 12 days, at 20th and 21st centiry is 13 days, at 22
            century it will be 14 days.

            In medieval time in orthodox church was in use counting of years by
            Byzantic calendar from the begining of the world, similar as Jewish
            calendar. This calendar start with New Year on September 1st (Church New
            Year). Also was and counting years by indicts, but it is a long story.

            Some orthodox churches (Romania, Greek-newcalendar etc.) use Gregorian
            calendar when are fixed holidays, but the Easter and holidays conected
            to the Easter are by Julian calendar. But, this is a modern use in those
            churches.

            If tou need detailed information see some encyclopedia or send me a
            message on personal e-mail.

            Regards,
            Nenad
          • Alastair Millar
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2003
              > (smart, young whippersnappers...grumble ;)

              *grin*
              Not been called "young" for a while, thanks! ;-)

              A.