Numbering centuries

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2003
      No offence to anyone intended, but to be honest I'm rather surprised that
      there is so much confusion - and list traffic - about something that is so
      basic.

      It's all very logical. The Christian calendar has no "Year 0 AD/BC/BCE" - a
      year *must* be either "before Christ" or a "year of Our Lord". The state of
      Christ's being incarnate (or not) is not subject to uncertainty - He was,
      or He was not. (Roll over Schroedinger's cat...).

      So... given that there was no Year 0, the first century *must* have been
      the years 1-100 AD. The second century therefore starts in 101 and runs to
      200, and so on.

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
      P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
    • Linda
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2003
        Some people are just too logical, too early in the morning. (smart,
        young whippersnappers...grumble ;)
        Maria P on her first cup of coffee

        <clip>

      • purplkat@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2003
          Actually I use a simpler therom-

          Statement: The 1900's were called The 20th Century

          So therefore any century is one number less.... ie - 15th C is 1400's, 6th
          C is 500's, and so on....

          Lot easier for me
          Lady Katheryne

          No offence to anyone intended, but to be honest I'm rather surprised that
          there is so much confusion - and list traffic - about something that is so
          basic.

          So... given that there was no Year 0, the first century *must* have been
          the years 1-100 AD. The second century therefore starts in 101 and runs to
          200, and so on.

          Alastair

          Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
          P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Shannon Anderson
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2003
            so a more sig-like topic...
            I know that early russian dates work differently, I
            just don't remember how. I know that their years were
            different than the roman calendar and I would assume
            their centuries as well. I read about this once...
            Oh and the orthodox church uses different years. How
            does that relate to medieval years? Days?

            Can anyone clear this up? Bonus points for doing it in
            5 sentences or less. Extra bonus points for creating a
            mnemonic device to help me remember this time!

            ;) thanks

            Margarita

            =====
            http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
          • Lisa Kies
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
              X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

              The Julian Calendar was used in Russia up to the 19th century. Many Orthodox
              churches continue to use the Julian calendar for religious holidays.

              Years were reckoned according to the year of creation, 5508 years before
              Christ. So most of the time you can get away with adding 5508 to the year.

              I don't remember right off when medieval Russians celebrated the new year, nor
              do I remember if they concerned themselves with numbering centuries the way we
              do. Somehow, I suspect they didn't.

              In service,
              Sofya la Rus

              > Quoting Shannon Anderson <kitonlove@...>:
              >
              > I know that early russian dates work differently,

              ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
              ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
              ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
            • Nenad Lockic
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
                > I know that early russian dates work differently, I
                > just don't remember how. I know that their years were
                > different than the roman calendar and I would assume
                > their centuries as well. I read about this once...
                > Oh and the orthodox church uses different years. How
                > does that relate to medieval years? Days?
                > Margarita

                Some orthodox churches (Russian, Greek oldcalendar, Serbian, O.C. in
                America) use old (Julian) calendar while Roman Catholic and all states
                use official Gregorian calendar. The difference between these calendars
                is 13 days (November 15th in those orthodox churches is dated as
                November 2nd; November 6th is October 24th because October have 31 days
                and 31+6-13=24). But this is only valid for 20. and 21. century. The
                problem is because Julian calendar (reformed by Julius Caesar count
                every fourth year as a 366 days long year (with February 29th). It is
                easy to remembar because years when are summer Olimpic games are 366
                days long by Julian calendar.

                Gregorian calendar, estabilished by pope Gregorius in 16th century, is
                reformed Julian calendar. Year is not long exatly 365days and 6 hours
                (as Julian calendar counts) and in 16th century was difference betweem
                March 21th and real equinox of 10 years. Gregorius deleted the
                difference, but made and the rule for "secular" years (1600, 1700, 1800,
                1900 etc.) So, "secular" years have 366 only if century number is
                devided with 4 without a rest (1600, 2000, 2400 etc. because 16:4=4,
                etc.). So, at 18th century the difference between calendars was 11 days,
                at 19th century was 12 days, at 20th and 21st centiry is 13 days, at 22
                century it will be 14 days.

                In medieval time in orthodox church was in use counting of years by
                Byzantic calendar from the begining of the world, similar as Jewish
                calendar. This calendar start with New Year on September 1st (Church New
                Year). Also was and counting years by indicts, but it is a long story.

                Some orthodox churches (Romania, Greek-newcalendar etc.) use Gregorian
                calendar when are fixed holidays, but the Easter and holidays conected
                to the Easter are by Julian calendar. But, this is a modern use in those
                churches.

                If tou need detailed information see some encyclopedia or send me a
                message on personal e-mail.

                Regards,
                Nenad
              • Alastair Millar
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2003
                  > (smart, young whippersnappers...grumble ;)

                  *grin*
                  Not been called "young" for a while, thanks! ;-)

                  A.