Re: [sig] Digest Number 1332

  • Soraya Newell
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2003
      About relating Centuries to years - it's not one less
      than the numbers, it's one more. i.e. - the 1600's are
      the 17th century (NOT the 15th c.!!) That's because by
      the year 101 they had already been counting for a
      whole century, so that had to be the beginning of the
      2nd century, century meaning hundred.

      As for the 1600 or 1650 SCA end date, I understood it
      really ends at 1600, but the Cavaliers wanted to be
      able to do Cavalier costuming, so a 'gray area' has
      been tolerated to 1650 to permit the 3 Musketers type
      fashions.

      Soraya Evodia, Caid
      things Russian
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
        > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Sfandra wrote:
        > > It's always one less. Remember, 1900s was the
        > >20th century? So, 600AD is the 5th Century, 700AD
        > >is the 6th century and so forth.
        > I think there's a math error there. :)
        > This is nitpicky, but new centuries begin on the
        > '01. So 700 was
        > still the 7th century but 701 was the 8th.
        > -Pavla

        Oh, picky picky... *big smiley*
        --Sfandra :D

        =====