Re: [sig] Re: Calculating Centuries

  • Nenad Lockic
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
      > This is nitpicky, but new centuries begin on the '01. So 700 was
      > still the 7th century but 701 was the 8th.
      >
      > -Pavla

      Pavla,

      you are right. Milions of people beleived that waiting New Year 2000.
      they waited new millenium. So, they are making mistake counting 0 year
      which not exist. At the time scale after -1 (1. year B.C.) next is A.D.
      1. So, A.D. is last year oif first decade, A.D. 100 is the last year of
      first century, etc.

      Regards,
      Lockey
    • redlocks999
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 5, 2003
        Although the charter states pre-17th Century I have found documents that say 600
        -1600 or 1650. Needless to say there are well-founded arguments for both sides. I
        mean what would we do without all those handsome cavaliers & winged hussars
        striding about? Besides to end it at 1485 would be a shame that's 165 years of
        intellectual and cultural ferment. While I respect your predilection towards the early
        ages I must protest ; )

        Just my two silver groshi, Julia