Re: aque vitae?

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 1999
      On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 timbo@... wrote:
      >> aqua vitae was a term used to describe distilled spirits,
      >> either from wine or beer.
      > Would that have been cold distilling th ewine to make brandy or
      > double brewing the beer to make it stronger, then? I have some
      > friends who are in B&V so I know a few concepts and terms but only
      > enough to not be totally lost. Care to elaborate for the hopelessly
      > ignorant, Jadwiga?

      From what people have said, it seems that 'hot' distillation was used, if
      by that you mean distilling over a flame.
      Double, triple or quadruple distillation (running the product through
      multiple times) appears to have been standard for that called aqua vitae.
      They usually say that either beer or wine is the beverage one starts with,
      and don't seem to make a distinction in the same way moderns describe
      distillations of wine as brandy and distillations of grain products as
      whiskey, etc.
      Does that help?

      disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

      "But the world is cold. For me, the warm places are few and far between."
      -- Charles DeLint, _Someplace to Be Flying_