Re: NEED A WORD

  • bigmakusa
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
      OR IF POSSIBLE THE ACTUAL TRANSLATION INTO POLISH OF

      > BARDS REST.

      Sorry, missed the last part of zour post. Actual translation would be:

      Reszta bardów
    • Kythe
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 2003
        The name of my Household is Bards Rest. I was looking for the Polish
        equivelant of a place where Entertainers Sit and Entertain.

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "P&MSulisz" <pmsulisz@o...> wrote:

        > Dear Kythe,

        English
        > dictionary) - would you be so kind and describe their meaning in a
        few
        > words?

      • P&MSulisz
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 27, 2003
          Dear Kythe,
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 27, 2003
            Hello,
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 28, 2003
              From: "Kythe" <jester@...>

              > The name of my Household is Bards Rest. I was looking for the Polish
              > equivelant of a place where Entertainers Sit and Entertain.

              I went to my mother in law and looked in some very old, dusty books and
              found exellent medieval word for 'bard':
              gedziec (gedziec, with a tail under 'e') it is difficult to pronounce even
              for Polish native speakers: [k-E-dzietz] E- like '-en' in french 'tres
              bien'.
              Gedziec from 'gedzic' = to tell a story, poetry.
              Another nice word is: gosciniec (gosciniec, with a tail over 's' = soft 's',
              goshtschinietz) = karczma, szynk, place of rest and the what you are looking
              for: place of entertainment.
              Gosciniec from 'goscic' = to host someone
              So I would suggest something like:
              'Gosciniec Gedzców' (Gosciniec Gedzcow) for a Bards Rest.
              Have a nice tongue breaking! ;)

              I love old Polish! It is so rich and beautiful!
              Magdalena