Re: NEED A WORD

  • bigmakusa
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Kythe" <jester@i...> wrote:
      > I NEED THE POLISH EQUIVELANT OF:
      >
      > INN OF ENTERTAINERS

      In Polish, there are several words for inn, namely:

      ober¿a (o-ber-zhah) which is an inn or tavern
      zajazrd (zah-yahzd) which is a motel or inn
      gospoda which is an inn, eating house or restaurant
      pub which is a pub
      karczma (kahrch-mah) which is a 16th century word for a tavern, but
      would have also had overnight accomodations

      Using the possesive case for entertainers, you get:

      artystów estradowych which is a male concert hall or platform
      perfomer

      or

      artystek estradowych which is a female concert hall or platform
      performer

      Put the two words together with the word of your choice for inn first
      and you have your translation

      Hope this helps
    • bigmakusa
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
        OR IF POSSIBLE THE ACTUAL TRANSLATION INTO POLISH OF

        > BARDS REST.

        Sorry, missed the last part of zour post. Actual translation would be:

        Reszta bardów
      • Kythe
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 27, 2003
          The name of my Household is Bards Rest. I was looking for the Polish
          equivelant of a place where Entertainers Sit and Entertain.

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "P&MSulisz" <pmsulisz@o...> wrote:

          > Dear Kythe,

          English
          > dictionary) - would you be so kind and describe their meaning in a
          few
          > words?

        • P&MSulisz
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 27, 2003
            Dear Kythe,
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 27, 2003
              Hello,
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 28, 2003
                From: "Kythe" <jester@...>

                > The name of my Household is Bards Rest. I was looking for the Polish
                > equivelant of a place where Entertainers Sit and Entertain.

                I went to my mother in law and looked in some very old, dusty books and
                found exellent medieval word for 'bard':
                gedziec (gedziec, with a tail under 'e') it is difficult to pronounce even
                for Polish native speakers: [k-E-dzietz] E- like '-en' in french 'tres
                bien'.
                Gedziec from 'gedzic' = to tell a story, poetry.
                Another nice word is: gosciniec (gosciniec, with a tail over 's' = soft 's',
                goshtschinietz) = karczma, szynk, place of rest and the what you are looking
                for: place of entertainment.
                Gosciniec from 'goscic' = to host someone
                So I would suggest something like:
                'Gosciniec Gedzców' (Gosciniec Gedzcow) for a Bards Rest.
                Have a nice tongue breaking! ;)

                I love old Polish! It is so rich and beautiful!
                Magdalena