Question: Early Rus garb

  • Seonaid13
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2003
      OK, so I'm making a new ornate dalmatic/navershnik for EK Crown
      Tourney coming up in 2 weeks.

      My question is this: we often see the trimming/design around the hem
      of a over-dress continue up the middle of the front of the garment up
      to the neckline, expanding into a design around the collar/neck-
      opening. Do we think that that that same center trimming/design
      would also appear up the middle of the back?
      --painstakingly plotting,
      --Sfandra
    • Yana
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2003
        >Do we think that that that same center trimming/design
        >would also appear up the middle of the back?

        I'm gonna say no to the vertival strip of trim on the back, but only
        because I've never seen it pictured or written about (can't prove a
        negative, after all). It appears to be an unlikely place to decorate. It
        also seems like it would be a possible pain (literally and figuratively) to
        sit on (and might smoosh all the work that went into it). :-)

        --Yana
      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2003
          Greetings ana & all!

          >>Do we think that that that same center trimming/design
          >>would also appear up the middle of the back?

          Y> I'm gonna say no to the vertival strip of trim on the back, but only
          Y> because I've never seen it pictured or written about (can't prove a
          Y> negative, after all). It appears to be an unlikely place to decorate. It
          Y> also seems like it would be a possible pain (literally and figuratively) to
          Y> sit on (and might smoosh all the work that went into it). :-)

          I'd say it like this.

          Front is for showing off. Thus, the embroidery and the proverb "to
          show the goods by their face/front side" (pokazat' tovar litsom).
          Also, the back seam sometimes existed in the Steppe (Central Asian)
          kaftans but the existing opieces show no evident attempt to make it
          "important" as with the front seams. Source: Eastern
          Turkestan in Ancient and Medieval Times, Moscow, 2000

          Hope that helps.

          --
          Bye,
          Alex mailto:Posadnik@...