Re: Polish liquor recipe

  • MoxFool@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 7, 2003
      In a message dated 10/7/2003 3:35:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      sig@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I have a book called Polish Heritage Cookery by Robert and Maria
      > Strybel. It has a chapter on "Beverages Hot &Cold" and another on
      > "Cordials, Brandies, &Liqueurs". I could send you some recipes if you
      > like. What sort of liquor are you looking to make?
      >
      > Pani Alzbeta

      It's the first time I have done this, so anything works great! I was thinking
      of something simple, say vodka + a few ingrediants, but anything is nice,
      especially if it is period. Thanks!

      Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
      Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, <A HREF="http://www.midrealm.org/talonvale/">The Shire of Talonvale</A>
      Ward to THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R.
      MOFIT, shire Rapier Marshal
      "Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens." Jimmi Hendrix

    • MoxFool@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 7, 2003
        sig@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > Here are a couple of links &one recipe you may find helpful.
        > Let us know how it turns out. I never got around to the "Queen of Hungary
        > water" but it's a good website for documented source.

        Thanks! Which Hungary Water recipe would you recommend?

        Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
        Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, <A HREF="http://www.midrealm.org/talonvale/">The Shire of Talonvale</A>
        Ward to THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R.
        MOFIT, shire Rapier Marshal
        "Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens." Jimmi Hendrix

      • Yana
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 7, 2003
          >It's the first time I have done this, so anything works great! I was thinking
          >of something simple, say vodka + a few ingrediants, but anything is nice,
          >especially if it is period. Thanks!

          Not sure if period (always the question if vodka is period for the SCA),
          but some friends of mine simply steeped sour cherries in vodka (just
          dropped in a goodly handful into the bottle and let set) and got a really
          nice color and flavor.

          --Yana
        • Marilee Humason
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 7, 2003
            Hi,
            I am not at home so I can't check my stuff, but I used
            a different recipe than all of those in the article
            for the Queen of Hungary's water.
            Also, in the article you say it is illegal to distill
            at home, I discovered from my husband, that it is
            legal to distill up to 1 gallon of distilled alchohal
            for personal use. I just haven't had the time to put
            together a still!! I have several "waters" and
            "washing waters" I want to try!
            If I ever get enough time I will try to find the
            recipe I used to show you.
            regards,
            Baroness Anastasia

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 7, 2003
              > Also, in the article you say it is illegal to distill
              > at home, I discovered from my husband, that it is
              > legal to distill up to 1 gallon of distilled alchohal
              > for personal use. I just haven't had the time to put
              > together a still!!

              The idea that it is legal to distill any quantity of alcohol for home use
              _in the United States_ is an urban legend. The Federal Alcohol
              and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau will be happy to tell you so.
              The SCA-Distilling list founders consulted the BATF several times about
              getting the required 'tax stamp' to distill but there was no way to do it.

              From the ATTTB website:

              "pirits
              You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and
              without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant.
              [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are
              numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce
              spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are
              paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond,
              providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks
              and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and
              maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these
              requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

              Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only
              without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive
              TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use,
              records and reports."

              Distilling of water and distilling for essential oils is allowed in some
              jurisdictions-- it's not banned by federal law.

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
                > I'm rather sure that vodka isn't period in Poland. I haven't found any
                > mention of it in period sources. It was custom to drink vine when the white
                > bread was on the table and beer with 'black' (rye) bread (the common
                > course). The most popular alkohol drink was dinking honey (kind of the
                > national drink), in all its kinds (with cherry, berrys, spices, etc).

                Sounds like mead (fermented honey drink), maybe? Maria Dembinska appears
                to have claimed that Mead was a high status drink among the Poles but
                generally more of a special occasion drink than a regular one... I can
                find the citation from her thesis but I've only read excerpts from it in
                translation.

                "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
                (In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)
              • redlocks999
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
                  I'm more partial to wild blackberry cordial as the berry is more
                  abundant here in the Bay Area. I never made the "Queen of Hungary
                  water." The Medieval and Renaissance Brewing page is probably a good
                  on-line source. I believe there is also a yahoo groups page for SCA
                  brewers. I noticed someone mentioned blueberries? Also cherries
                  soaked in Vodka which sounds scrumptious! Easier and lest costly than
                  investing in distilling equipment...especially if like myself you
                  live in a tiny garden flat in the city ; )

                  Kind Regards, Julia

                  http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/brewing.html

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
                    Hi there from 'dak,
                    I got a call from the Marshall in charge of the
                    Moscovites and Mongols event next weekend. He enquired
                    about Moscovite or Russian arms training, tourneys,
                    martial challenges ect. that he could utilize at the
                    event. I checked my resources last night and this
                    morning but drew a blank. Can anyone shed some light
                    on this? There has to be information, I'm just not up
                    to speed.
                    Also, does anyone have any ideas on sumptuary laws
                    in codes? I was looking for Ivan IV's 1550 code
                    without success but also checked the Domostroi and
                    Rude and Barbarous Kingdom. Any suggestions or ideas
                    woul be welcome and much appreciated!
                    Back to work!!
                    'dak

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                  • John-Joseph Bober
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
                      > Sounds like mead (fermented honey drink), maybe?
                      I was thinking the same thing. As I recall, my grandfather referred
                      to "mead" as "pity miod" (sp?) which literaly translates
                      to "drinkable honey".

                      There is the reference in "The Trilogy" that mead is poison to those
                      who aren't of gentle birth, but I'm willing to bet the "only for
                      special occasions" evolved with time.

                      Jan
                    • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
                        > There is the reference in "The Trilogy" that mead is poison to those
                        > who aren't of gentle birth, but I'm willing to bet the "only for
                        > special occasions" evolved with time.

                        Dunno. When you consider how much more available the raw ingredients of
                        beer are compared to honey...

                        "Somedays the struggle just gets tired..." -- Renee Senolges
                      • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
                          > > Sounds like mead (fermented honey drink),
                          > Probably this is a correct english word. In 'Poland' by Marcin Kromer (1575)
                          > it is written that it was "a honey boiled with hop and water" there is
                          > nothing about the fermentation but I think it is like in the case of the
                          > vine: everyone knows it is fermentated. There are a lot of period warnings
                          > of being drunk after drinking it.

                          Yes, this makes sense. I've had mead made with hops, it tastes very
                          different to me than non-hopped mead which is the kind we usually drink
                          here in the East Kingdom of the SCA.

                          > maybe? Maria Dembinska appears
                          > > to have claimed that Mead was a high status drink among the Poles but
                          > > generally more of a special occasion drink than a regular one...
                          > There was an abbys between the life of nobles and peasants. To understand it
                          > is a base to understand old Poland.
                          > Honey wasn't so exclusive like for example: Tokay (Hungarian vine - one of
                          > the favourites), or the other imported vines.

                          I'll have to go back and take a look at the Dembinska book

                          > I didn't find any example of peasant drinking honey or vine (exept some
                          > rituals). Beer was so common in a whole society that there was even a 'beer
                          > soup' (rather strange in taste for me). Beer wasn't considered an alcohol
                          > drink: even in convents nuns were given a few glasses everyday, and it was a
                          > real regular drink. But this beer was rather weak for our present
                          > standards...

                          Do the books make a differentiation between regular strength and weak beer
                          (what is called in English 'small beer' and in Russian 'kvas')?

                          > I have heard (I cant give you a source) that this 'Water of Queen of
                          > Hungary' was not to made to drink but for medical (cosmetic) purposes ;(

                          Yes, the information I could find indicated that it was first a medicinal
                          (to be applied and/or consumed), then a cosmetic (a scent). I didn't see
                          any mentions of it as a cordial.

                          "Somedays the struggle just gets tired..." -- Renee Senolges
                        • Patrick Levesque
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
                            Don't know much about Poland, but my 17th century Romanian source does
                            include a category of drinks called 'vutca'.

                            However, these are mostly cordials based on wines or stronger spirits, and
                            do not refer to the distilled spirit itself. Now perhaps, since this is a
                            recipe book, it would only give variations or stuff to do with the drink,
                            yet without including instructions on how to make it.

                            Petru

                            (translation is over, by the way, I'm having it double checked, it should be
                            available soon)

                            >> Not sure if period (always the question if vodka is period for the SCA),
                            >> but some friends of mine simply steeped sour cherries in vodka (just
                            >> dropped in a goodly handful into the bottle and let set) and got a really
                            >> nice color and flavor.
                            >
                            > I'm rather sure that vodka isn't period in Poland. I haven't found any
                            > mention of it in period sources. It was custom to drink vine when the white
                            > bread was on the table and beer with 'black' (rye) bread (the common
                            > course). The most popular alkohol drink was dinking honey (kind of the
                            > national drink), in all its kinds (with cherry, berrys, spices, etc). Vines
                            > came from local vineyards (rather sour) , and imported from Hungary &
                            > Moravia.
                            > I don't know how to make drinking honey. The simplest way to get it is to
                            > go to the shop and buy it :) here in Poland, of course. There are a lot of
                            > polish shops in USA - it will be the easier way for you to have something
                            > 'period'.
                            > It is ussualy sold in old fashioned bottles and looks realy 'old polish'
                            > and tastes delicious!
                            > Magdalena of Vratislavia

                          • Alzbeta Michalik
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
                              The introduction to the Cordials, Brandies, & Liqueurs chapter to Polish
                              Heritage Cookery states:
                              "It was in 16th-century Poland, not Russia, that the world's first wódka
                              (literally: "little water") was distilled, giving rise to the nalewka
                              (homemade cordial) tradition that is still much in evidence today."

                              Since this is in direct conflict with other sources, and since the
                              source of this information was not provided, I can't say for certain if
                              cordials were period in Poland or not. However, here are a couple of
                              recipes to try anyway. The Polish translation is from the book.

                              Cherry Cordial the Traditional Way - wis'niówka tradycyjna
                              Pit, wash, and drain just over 2 lbs. dark sour cherries, leaving 5-6
                              cherries with pits intact. Place in jar. Add 1 heaping cup sugar and 2
                              cups spirits (190 proof grain alcohol) or 1 quart 100 proof vodka. Seal
                              and shake to mix ingredients and let stand at room temperature 3-4
                              months or even up to 6 months. Strain through cotton-filled funnel into
                              decanter. For greater clarity, strain into another bottle, let stand
                              one day, then strain again into decanter. Optional: At start of
                              process, mixture may be flavored with 4 cloves, 1 pinch cinnamon, or 1/4
                              - 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.

                              Polish Honey-Spice Cordial - krupnik polski
                              In small pot combine 1 cup water, 1/2 vanilla pod, 1/2 stick cinnamon,
                              1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, 10-12 cloves, a pinch or two mace,
                              and bring to boil. When mixture is just about to boil, add 1 teaspoon
                              grated orange rind. Cover and set aside. Separately, bring to boil 2
                              cups honey and 1 cup water, skimming off scum until no more forms.
                              Remove from heat and switch off all heat sources. (Warning: There
                              should be no open flames around whenever pouring 190 proof grain
                              alcohol, because even its fumes can ignite!) Into hot honey mixture
                              stir 4 cups spirits and spice mixture including spices. Pour into clean
                              jar, seal, and let stand overnight. Next day pour through cotton-filled
                              funnel into bottle or serving carafe. This mellow and spicy cordial is
                              often served hot on Christmas Eve and is guaranteed to cast a nice, warm
                              glow over any gathering. It is also good at room temperature. To serve
                              hot, pour in pot and heat but do not boil. Optional: When heating
                              krupnik, you may add 2-3 Tablespoons butter, allowing it to melt. Some
                              regard the buttery version of krupnik as a good cold remedy.
                              Variation: A weaker krupnik can be made using 1 quart 100 proof vodka
                              instead of spirits.

                              I haven't actually tried either of these, but I intend to make some
                              krupnik for my family's Wigilia this year.

                              Pani Alzbeta

                            • John-Joseph Bober
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 9, 2003
                                > Cherry Cordial the Traditional Way
                                I've made this one a couple of times, and I really like it. I tend
                                not to spice it much, if at all. A word of warning, though, most
                                modern cough syrup is cherry flavored, so a lot of people will give
                                that as a first impression. On the other hand, at Pennsic last year
                                folks in my camp liked it so much we finished a bottle in an evening.

                                Jan - East
                              • P&MSulisz
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 9, 2003

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 9, 2003

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 9, 2003
                                      > Do the books make a differentiation between regular strength and weak beer
                                      > (what is called in English 'small beer' and in Russian 'kvas')?
                                      I haven't noticed, but I will try to check.

                                      > Yes, the information I could find indicated that it was first a medicinal
                                      > (to be applied and/or consumed), then a cosmetic (a scent).
                                      As a skin tonic to preserve beauty :)

                                      I didn't see
                                      > any mentions of it as a cordial.
                                      Me too.