Re: aque vitae?

  • Maggie Allen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
      > I always wondered exactly what kind of beverage Giles Fletcher was
      >alluding too in "Rude and Barbarous Kingdom" when he talked of "Aque
      >Vitae". >'dak

      "Aque Vitae" = 'Water of Life' =Ouis Ghey (Gaelic)= Whiskey

      Mark/Yvan Wolvesbane
      Pacifist.....with occasional lapses
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 1999
        On Tue, 2 Nov 1999 timbo@... wrote:
        > Predslava,
        > I always wondered exactly what kind of beverage Giles Fletcher was
        > alluding too in "Rude and Barbarous Kingdom" when he talked of "Aque
        > Vitae". Got any ideas? B&V isn't my forte' so I was wondering what
        > your take was?

        Hmm... I'm not Predslava, but I know a little about period distilling
        documentation. aqua vitae was a term used to describe distilled spirits,
        either from wine or beer.

        disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

        "But the world is cold. For me, the warm places are few and far between."
        -- Charles DeLint, _Someplace to Be Flying_
      • MHoll@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 1999
          In a message dated 11/1/1999 5:35:56 PM Central Standard Time,
          timbo@... writes:

          > I always wondered exactly what kind of beverage Giles Fletcher was
          > alluding too in "Rude and Barbarous Kingdom" when he talked of "Aque
          > Vitae".

          I am sure he referred to vodka or something similar. Although Mark/Yvan
          mentioned that Aqua Vitae is the same as whiskey, it is not *only* whiskey,
          but rather any distilled spirit. In French "eau de vie" ("water of life" =
          "aqua vitae") is a clear spirit. Don't know the taste, but from descriptions
          I surmise it a vodka-type spirit.

          I have heard that "aqua vitae" got its name because it was an ingredient in
          medicines prepared by monks: it cured illnesses, therefore it brought life...
          No guarantees here.

          As for vodka in period, those who read the book _Bread and Salt_ have noted
          that it did indeed make it appearance in Russia within our period, but it was
          relatively slow to spread.

          I can't remember the date of Fletcher's account -- what year(s) was he in
          Russia?

          Predslava,
          still very happy with her pre-Mongol persona. Masha definitely does not like
          Muscovite Russia.
        • MHoll@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 1999
            In a message dated 11/2/1999 10:59:23 PM Central Standard Time,
            timbo@... writes:

            > Got any ideas on how its made?
            Not distilling the stuff, no, although my aunt (may she rest in peace) did
            bring some 140 proof stuff my father and brothers said was "very good" (I
            wouldn't know). I know she used sugar, but that's all.

            That wasn't very useful, but I'll remember her bottle of homemade vodka
            forever.

            As for not distilling, you can dilute 180 proof alcohol in equal parts with
            water, add some lemon peel, a couple drops of glycerine, let stand a while
            opened, then close, put in refrigerator, and let stand until it acquires the
            lemony flavor.

            To make "pertsovka", you can soak some cayenne pepper in a little vodka for
            about a month, add about a shot of it to a bottle of plain regular vodka, let
            stand for the flavor to blend in, and it's done.

            Now I've never tasted any of the above (and never will: my vodka consumption
            is limited to the very occasional cocktail), but my brothers and father say
            it's good.

            No guarantees.

            Predslava
          • Jenne Heise
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 1999
              On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 timbo@... wrote:
              >> aqua vitae was a term used to describe distilled spirits,
              >> either from wine or beer.
              > Would that have been cold distilling th ewine to make brandy or
              > double brewing the beer to make it stronger, then? I have some
              > friends who are in B&V so I know a few concepts and terms but only
              > enough to not be totally lost. Care to elaborate for the hopelessly
              > ignorant, Jadwiga?

              From what people have said, it seems that 'hot' distillation was used, if
              by that you mean distilling over a flame.
              Double, triple or quadruple distillation (running the product through
              multiple times) appears to have been standard for that called aqua vitae.
              They usually say that either beer or wine is the beverage one starts with,
              and don't seem to make a distinction in the same way moderns describe
              distillations of wine as brandy and distillations of grain products as
              whiskey, etc.
              Does that help?

            • timbo@xxxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 1999
                aqua vitae was a term used to describe distilled spirits,
                either from wine or beer.

                Would that have been cold distilling th ewine to make brandy or
                double brewing the beer to make it stronger, then? I have some
                friends who are in B&V so I know a few concepts and terms but only
                enough to not be totally lost. Care to elaborate for the hopelessly
                ignorant, Jadwiga?
                'dak
              • timbo@xxxxxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 1999
                  Fletcher was very late, circa 1589. I had been thinking about
                  attempting to cold distill some commercial wine as an experiment or
                  even attempting to make vodka. Got any ideas on how its made?
                  'dak