Re: [sig] Re: Rus history books (was: ...Russian Painting)

  • "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
      Greetings!

      > A very impressive canvas, with no "Russian Cranberry" at all.
      > Heh. I think you might need to explain the cranberry reference :)

      Yeah. That is really an issue of perception habits.

      Either Daniel Defoe in his Book II of Robinson Crusoe (in which the hero travelled through Russia, from far east to St.Petersburg), or in Alexander Dumas' book about his trip to Russia, there was a nice passage that quickly become a proverb. It went like this: the travellers visited some Russian person, and he served them a table in the garden, "under a branchy cranberry tree". You don't need to be a Russian to understand that the author's, ergm, poor knowledge of what cranberry is like while it grows. Since that time, the expression "branchy Russian cranberry" is said any time we see another case of a bearded-guy-in-high-boots-embracing-a-polar-bear-and-drinking-vodka. Just like in Red Heat with Arnie Schwarzenegger.

      bye,
      Alex