Banners for Rus

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
      > >Any suggestions for good banner type maetrial? I
      > need a few large banners
      > >to go on the back wall of my pavilion.

      Ah, an excuse to go into heraldic-display mode! :D
      Authentic: Silk is most common. Others have posted
      good notes on this.
      Modern Practicality: The nylon "linings" that fabric
      stores sell can be a pain to work with, but if you
      want floaty war banners, they're the best to use.
      Cheap, durable, available in a HUGE array of colors,
      colorfast, etc etc etc. If you know someone with a
      serger, become their best friend and borrow it!
      Serging off the edges of nylon lining makes it
      enormously easier to deal with when doing applique
      work.

      Regarding historical samples, there are a few
      surviving pieces of artwork, icons and others, that
      I've stumbled across that seem to indicate that for
      earlier periods, the long 'pennant' style banner was
      in use. *grumble* I know I have that link around here
      somewhere -- Yes! Summer 2003 SLOVO! Very useful
      collection of Rus Heraldry samples by Paul Wickenden
      of Thanet with image of pennant-style banners.

      If you do decide to go the canvas-and-paint route,
      simplest assuming you just want the interior of your
      pavillion to look nice, you could do "enlargements" of
      icons, or icon-style art, or images depicting
      folktales (I'm personally especially fond of images of
      the Firebird), or, depending on your tastes, just do
      panels of random designs as if you had hung panels of
      cloth - vines, flowers, geometric designs, the ever
      popular bird-on-vine motif, etc etc.
      Hope this helps,
      --Sfandra

      =====
      http://shopping.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2003
        Sfandra,
        Forgive me for dipping into the conversation but I
        made some banners for myself at events out of brocade,
        like Ivan the Terrible banner supposedly used at
        Kazan. But I'm a fop. I had planned to also use fabric
        paint but on a cotton borcade patterned cloth for
        color, opulence and most importantly, economical
        convenience.
        What about a chest high tent liner with applique?
        You could set it up as a back drop at events and roll
        it up for storage and transportation?
        'dak

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Rick Orli