Re: Rus history books (was: ...Russian Painting)

  • Dmitriy Ryaboy
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
      <Posadnik@m...> wrote:
      A very impressive canvas, with no "Russian Cranberry" at all.

      > Bye,
      > Alex

      Heh. I think you might need to explain the cranberry reference :)

      -Dmitriy
    • richikha
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
        I am Richikha, and I want to thank Dmitriy very much for his
        comment. I would like to know what was meant by "Russian cranberry"
        in the post, but was afraid to ask . . . from teh context, I
        wondered if it was a euphemism for blood and gore!

        Thank you,

        Richikha

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
          Greetings!

          > A very impressive canvas, with no "Russian Cranberry" at all.
          > Heh. I think you might need to explain the cranberry reference :)

          Yeah. That is really an issue of perception habits.

          Either Daniel Defoe in his Book II of Robinson Crusoe (in which the hero travelled through Russia, from far east to St.Petersburg), or in Alexander Dumas' book about his trip to Russia, there was a nice passage that quickly become a proverb. It went like this: the travellers visited some Russian person, and he served them a table in the garden, "under a branchy cranberry tree". You don't need to be a Russian to understand that the author's, ergm, poor knowledge of what cranberry is like while it grows. Since that time, the expression "branchy Russian cranberry" is said any time we see another case of a bearded-guy-in-high-boots-embracing-a-polar-bear-and-drinking-vodka. Just like in Red Heat with Arnie Schwarzenegger.

          bye,
          Alex