An Invitation

  • Gregory Frux
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 1999
      Everyone is welcome! Russian solstice feast for year 999. Please make
      certain to tell me if you are coming.

      feast at the end of the world

      The setting is a noble's feast hall in the north Russian City of
      Novgorod. People have gathered to celebrate the longest night of
      the year. A monk arrives from the barbaric Frankish lands with a
      strange tale. He claims that the year is 999 since the birth of
      Christ and that the end of the world is at hand. We don't believe him
      as our priests calculate the year as 6708 as measured
      since Creation. Never-the-less, guests takes turns telling stories,
      Apocalyptic and otherwise. Since we live in a great trading
      city travelers from the four corners of the world may be in attendance
      including Varangians (Vikings), Poles, Magyars,
      Polyvetsii, Byzantine Greeks and perhaps even a Saracen, each brings
      their own songs and epics.

      Zakuski (an open sideboard of food and drink) will be open through the
      daylight hours as the cooks slave away in kitchen.
      Guests are invited to arrive at their leisure throughout the afternoon.
      The first course of the feast will be presented at dusk, with
      following removes coming throughout the evening. Mead, mulled wine and
      cider will flow. Candle and fires will burn
      throughout the night as the bards do their work. The lord of the house
      will gift the finest, cleverest and most authentic speakers.

      Feast will occur December 18 at Greg Frux and Janet Morgan, 11 Sterling
      Place, #3A, Brooklyn, NY 11217-3269. Please
      RSVP by mail or email to gfrux@...
      Admission is to all people bearing the clothes and spirit of a person
      from the year 999 (hey the Dark Ages). Your hosts can
      help with this, but contact us in advance. Please leave forks, Twinkies
      and talk of the Internet home for the night. Event is free;
      donations to the House Ostrov Mead and Koumiss Fund for Orphans will be
      help pay for the following year's mead.