Re: [sig] Rus history books (was: ...Russian Painting)

  • REM
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
      Greetings:

      Seonaid13 wrote:

      > ... The folks over there were
      > unaware that Russia had any art besides soviet propaganda posters.
      > (Much like my local bookstores, who think russian history started in
      > 1912!)
      > --Sfandra

      Lucky you! My local bookstores think Russian history
      started with "glasnost" and "perestroika."
      Anything earlier is either SOVIET history or dinosaurs!

      But, then again, I live in Montana, which STILL brings
      questions like: "Do you live in a teepee/tipi?" or "Are
      we still fighting the Indians?"

      (Oddly enough, the answer to both can be "yes,"
      although not in the way they might think.)

      Anyhow, as regards books, thank the gods for the
      internet, Amazon, e-Bay, etc.! As for the painting,
      thank YOU for educating folks about the existence of
      original Russian art that pre-dates the Soviet era.

      Regards,
      Mstislav
    • Master Nikulai Ivanovich
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
        While we are on this subject...

        Any suggestions for good banner type maetrial? I need a few large banners to go on the back wall of my pavilion.

        Thanks!

        - Nikulai

        [Edited by moderator. Do not quote entire posts in your replies.]
      • Kuzniar, Wendy
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
          With no requirements for being authentic, but looking more for durability I
          used canvas from the fabric store and fabric paint. - Turned out really
          well, and stood up to the Pennsic storms this year without weathering at all
          (I also Scotch-guarded the crap out it). Must go make another several, it
          was fun, almost reminiscent of finger painting when I was small. "D

          Nezkha

          Any suggestions for good banner type maetrial? I need a few large banners to
          go on the back wall of my pavilion.

          Thanks!

          - Nikulai

          [Edited by moderator. Do not quote entire posts in your replies.]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17051262
          83:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http://webevents.yahoo.com/un
          iversal/intolerablecruelty/>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1784493/rand=606619331>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          LEGAL NOTICE
          Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.

        • Yana
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
            >Any suggestions for good banner type maetrial? I need a few large banners
            >to go on the back wall of my pavilion.

            All comments below are about Russia:

            For period banners: silk, definitely. Nice smooth silk, not the nubbly
            kind. Not sure what else, although linen would drape nicely.

            Some links, for inspiration, no authenticity guaranteed

            <http://www.tregubovstudios.com/general_info/embroidery.html>
            Embroidery information, including on banners

            <http://www.arco-iris.com/George/banner.htm>
            1560 banner, Russian

            --Yana
          • Master Nikulai Ivanovich
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
              Thanks - I wasn;t clear - I meant subjects to paint as banners... Thanks!

              [edited by moderator. Do not quote entire posts in your messages.]

              Master Nikulai Ivanovich, OP
              Or, on a bend cotised sable, three fox masks or palewise.
            • "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
                Greetings!

                > While we are on this subject...
                > Any suggestions for good banner type maetrial? I need a few large banners to go on the back wall of my pavilion.

                depends on the exact time/culture of the period you wish to represent.
                Just in case:

                For Muscovite period tehre are several paintings and sketches by Ryabushkin, Repin, some other Peredvizhniks (from "peredvizhnaya galereya" - back in mid-1800s they held movable galleries that wandered from town to town), also there are some nice prints in the books by Olearius and Herberstein, for example that nice view of Moscow city of early 1600s, with three Muscovite riders in the foreground, clad in padded battle gear, one with a bow, one with a Kisten.

                For Kievan period... Nothing just GOOD. Vasnetsov left many nice pictures that belonged to the totally imagined world of Russian folk lore, with visual image made from dozens of objects from museums, i.e. belonging more to 1500s than to 900s-1200s (Kremlin State Armory though exicting since afair 1300s, burned to the ground in 1400s).

                There are also several painters that served the state propaganda of the Slavic history back in 1900s-1910s. One of them afair was discussed here. They are much poorer [ainters though present much more details, kinda historic barocco.

                Yep!

                For early period, there's a nice set of canvases by Nikolay Roerikh (afair he allied with the Miriskusniks at the early stage of their movement). I remember "Boyan" (just a figure of the famed singer by the gates of Kiev), and, mainly - "The Messenger. The Clan Rose Against the Clan" Afair it's in the Tretyakov gallery, so it may be obtained through this channel. It shows a tired messenger of some South Russian tribe (even Balcan maybe)
                that sits in a small boat and looks very much upset bringing such horrible news, while on the banks he is carried along there start the signal fires. A very impressive canvas, with no "Russian Cranberry" at all.

                Bye,
                Alex
              • Dmitriy Ryaboy
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
                  <Posadnik@m...> wrote:
                  A very impressive canvas, with no "Russian Cranberry" at all.

                  > Bye,
                  > Alex

                  Heh. I think you might need to explain the cranberry reference :)

                  -Dmitriy
                • richikha
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                    I am Richikha, and I want to thank Dmitriy very much for his
                    comment. I would like to know what was meant by "Russian cranberry"
                    in the post, but was afraid to ask . . . from teh context, I
                    wondered if it was a euphemism for blood and gore!

                    Thank you,

                    Richikha

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                      Greetings!

                      > A very impressive canvas, with no "Russian Cranberry" at all.
                      > Heh. I think you might need to explain the cranberry reference :)

                      Yeah. That is really an issue of perception habits.

                      Either Daniel Defoe in his Book II of Robinson Crusoe (in which the hero travelled through Russia, from far east to St.Petersburg), or in Alexander Dumas' book about his trip to Russia, there was a nice passage that quickly become a proverb. It went like this: the travellers visited some Russian person, and he served them a table in the garden, "under a branchy cranberry tree". You don't need to be a Russian to understand that the author's, ergm, poor knowledge of what cranberry is like while it grows. Since that time, the expression "branchy Russian cranberry" is said any time we see another case of a bearded-guy-in-high-boots-embracing-a-polar-bear-and-drinking-vodka. Just like in Red Heat with Arnie Schwarzenegger.

                      bye,
                      Alex