Trying to track down a Russian Painting

  • Seonaid13
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
      I've been searching for hours to find this painting, and I need
      help! I remember seeing a painting online, probably 18th C,
      Imperialistic romanticising of Russia's history. The subject was 3
      mounted boyars on the steppes; I remember the commentary being that
      the three riders were legendary heros, and that the eastern steppe
      frontier was a great source of folk-hero stories.
      Does this ring any bells? I've been going nuts trying to find this
      picture.
      Thanks,
      Sfandra
    • Seonaid13
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
        Ha! Never mind! Would you believe that my VERY NEXT SEARCH nailed
        it?!? Gods, I love Google.
        For the curious, the painting in questions is "Three Heroes" by
        Victor Vasnetsov (1848-1926)
        -Sfandra

      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
          In a message dated 9/30/2003 12:15:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
          seonaid13@... writes:
          For the curious, the painting in questions is "Three Heroes" by
          Victor Vasnetsov (1848-1926)
          Yes, they're not boyars. The painting represents the 3 most famous heroes of
          Russian epic songs (bylinas) -- Dobrynia Nikitich, Ilya Muromets, Alesha
          Popovich.

          Predslava.

        • "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
            Greetings!

            > Ha! Never mind! Would you believe that my VERY NEXT SEARCH nailed
            > it?!? Gods, I love Google.
            > For the curious, the painting in questions is "Three Heroes" by
            > Victor Vasnetsov (1848-1926)
            > -Sfandra

            FYI: The painter belonged to Miriskusniks association (Mir Iskusstva, World of Art, and was a Russian equivalent of Preraffaelites, independent but with same hassle about national history). In other words, you may use the paintings to copy details, they are authentic, from Moscow Kremlin Armory & Historic Museum mainly, but NIVVAH use them to date something in relation to something.

            One of the most notorious pictures by Vacnetsov is, though, not Three Bogatyrs you asked about, but "The battle of the Slavs with the Scythians". Avoid any references to it.

            bye,
            Alex
          • Seonaid13
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
              > In other words, you may use the paintings to copy details, they
              >are authentic, from Moscow Kremlin Armory & Historic Museum mainly,
              >but NIVVAH use them to date something in relation to something.
              >One of the most notorious pictures by Vacnetsov is, though, not
              >Three Bogatyrs you asked about, but "The battle of the Slavs with
              >the Scythians". Avoid any references to it.

              Not that it's important, but the reason I was looking for it had
              nothing to do with history at all, but rather a discussion of art and
              romanticism on another list I'm on. The folks over there were
              unaware that Russia had any art besides soviet propaganda posters.
              (Much like my local bookstores, who think russian history started in
              1912!)
              --Sfandra