Re: [sig] Late Period Polish Surnames

  • P&MSulisz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 12:13 PM
      Droga (Dear) Pani/Panno (Mrs/Miss) Katarzyno!
      You can safely use the name 'Katarzyna Wojciechowska' as your period SCA
      name if you want it. Name 'Katarzyna' is well documented in sources (even in
      the poetry) of this period. Surname 'Wojciechowska' derivates from the name
      'Wojciech' (Adalbertus), and indicates your affiliation to the house of this
      'Wojciech'. It is the way the oldest polish surnames were created. I dont
      know the heraldic sign (is it correct in English?) of this family - to check
      it it is necessary to reach the one of the few polish nobles families
      registers (called 'herbarz'). The ending (-ski, -ska: in XVIc.) of your
      surname indicates nobility.
      Deminutive form of your first name is: Kasia, Kachna, Kasienka, Kachutka -
      all of them very old and mentioned in sources.
      Best greetings,
      Magdalena of Vratislavia