Re: More food-terms translation help

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 1999
      On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 MHoll@... wrote:
      > > Hm... were you by chance thinking of _Bread and Salt_?
      > Yep, and judging from an earlier posting by Yana, I may be a little off on my
      > dates. Still, vodka does not seem to make an appearance as a spirit of choice
      > until the XVII cent. I, for one, can do without. Cordials, one the other
      > hand.....

      Close enough, though. If I recall _Bread and Salt_ correctly, state
      control of distilled liquor followed hard on the heels of it's growth in
      popularity. However, at the same time, restrictions on when and how much
      beer (as opposed to kvas) a family could brew seem to have come in.

      Disclaimer: I don't speak for Eisental, and nobody in Eisental speaks for me.

      "But the world is cold. For me, the warm places are few and far between."
      -- Charles DeLint, _Someplace to Be Flying_