Re: coronation garb

  • Eagle Claw
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 1999
      <SNIP>
      >To tell the truth, I don't know that much about navershniks. I do know that
      >they are about knee-length and have elbow-length sleeves and are worn as an
      >over dress. I obviously don't know if I prefer gussets or gores. Gores
      >*sound* easier.
      <SNIP>
      >Isabelle

      Okay, here's my take on the Naverschnik (please feel free to through in your
      commentary as you see fit.) ;)
      I think it would be appropriate to use a silk fabric for the Naverschnik,
      Isabelle, if you are dealing with the temperatures of Meridies. Normally
      heavy brocades, wools, linens, etc. were used; but I think you could be
      convincing with a silk.

      As for the ornamentation, you could easily incorporate beading, pearling,
      couching of silver/gold thread and applique. If you choose a fabric with a
      design in it, you could highlight the design elements with the
      beading/pearling and/or couching. If it is a plain fabric, then you could
      create a design using these elements and applique as well. The use of
      semi-precious stones is not unheard of either. Also, for Kievan times,
      buttons of bone or antler are appropriate too.

      The naverschnik was the garment worn during times of celebration and special
      occasions. This is the "show off" piece. Be elaborate with it. Besides
      your headdress, this will show the Worlde your station and degree of wealth.

      -Vasilla (who received 208 messages since Friday afternoon!)

      Vasilla Anastasiia Krasnaia
      Barony of Mag Mor

      "I don't believe in just ordering people to do things.
      You have to sort of grab an oar and row with them."
      -Harold Geneen
    • Butler309@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 11, 1999
        In a message dated 10/14/99 10:11:20 PM Central Standard Time,
        patricia.hefner@... writes:

        > Obviously I can't use anything like velvet! I'm going
        > to try to find something that looks like silk without the price tag!! :-)
        > The other day, for the first time, I heard someone talking about a fabric
        > that's a mixture of silk and cotton. If I can get my hands on some of this
        > it'll be perfect. I'd never heard of this fabric. I think it's made in
        > India. Whatever I end up using, I'm planning for it to be red.

        Hook up with Lady Jylaen from Thorngil. What she doesn't know about fabric
        is unknowable (MS in textile science).

        - Leszek