some Polish names

  • P&MSulisz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2003
      Hello all interested in Polish names,
      During my holidays vacation I was in Zukow (Zuków) near Gdansk. The
      (unexisted now) female convent there was established in XI century by local
      duke. Till the end of XV c. the nuns who lived there were few times murdered
      (mostly by pagan Prussians, then Hussities). The convent survived all that
      storms untill XIX c, than was supress. The thing I found interesting was the
      list of names of prioresses in their museum. Here are some (the most
      interesting) of them - all from the period before 1320:
      Dirsla, Sidua, Sidelgundis, Przesprawa, Walburgis, Wiroslawa, Ayla, Bogudaja
      (this one was killed by Prussians in 1224: I like this name most it means:
      'given to the Lord'), Damroka (duke's Swietopelk sister- it seems it was
      that house 'family name').
      There was much more names but they were very 'christian' and used to-day
      (Agnes, Barbara, Elzbieta, etc.)
      Magdalena of Vratislavia