Re: More food-terms translation help

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 1999
      In a message dated 11/1/1999 7:53:41 AM Central Standard Time,
      jenne@... writes:

      > Hm... were you by chance thinking of _Bread and Salt_?

      Yep, and judging from an earlier posting by Yana, I may be a little off on my
      dates. Still, vodka does not seem to make an appearance as a spirit of choice
      until the XVII cent. I, for one, can do without. Cordials, one the other
      hand.....

      Predslava.
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 1999
        On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 MHoll@... wrote:
        > > Hm... were you by chance thinking of _Bread and Salt_?
        > Yep, and judging from an earlier posting by Yana, I may be a little off on my
        > dates. Still, vodka does not seem to make an appearance as a spirit of choice
        > until the XVII cent. I, for one, can do without. Cordials, one the other
        > hand.....

        Close enough, though. If I recall _Bread and Salt_ correctly, state
        control of distilled liquor followed hard on the heels of it's growth in
        popularity. However, at the same time, restrictions on when and how much
        beer (as opposed to kvas) a family could brew seem to have come in.

        Disclaimer: I don't speak for Eisental, and nobody in Eisental speaks for me.

        "But the world is cold. For me, the warm places are few and far between."
        -- Charles DeLint, _Someplace to Be Flying_