Re: Digest Number 113

  • Linda Learn
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 1999
      > > I suppose a later council might have
      > > reversed the decision, but I don't have the resources to look into it.
      >
      > That's what I wonder about: why, when, and if. Maybe it just sort of fell
      out
      > of usage, although that doesn't seem likely. I don't have the resources
      > either. Might come across it by chance some day. I'd post then, but don't
      > hold your breath.

      This list has me thinking more than I've thought in a LONG time.
      My mother and my grandmother always chopped of the heads of the chickens and
      turkeys we were going to eat. I always thought that was the only way to do
      it.
      I know in deer hunting we always try to make a fast kill...besides the
      humane issue involved, the longer the deer runs the tougher/less tasty the
      meat. Then its "bled" and gutted to help the meat cool faster so it doesn't
      spoil.
      I've also noticed that kosher rules tend to be common sense for the time
      that keep people from getting sick or "hurting themselves".

      Could this be a commonsense issue also? I know I'd rather buy a chicken
      from market that had been "chopped and drained" than one that had been
      "wrung" with the warm blood left inside to support bacteria.

      Maria the Polish fabric merchant
    • MHoll@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 1999
        In a message dated 11/1/1999 8:47:15 AM Central Standard Time,
        fabrix@... writes:

        > Could this be a commonsense issue also? I know I'd rather buy a chicken
        > from market that had been "chopped and drained" than one that had been
        > "wrung" with the warm blood left inside to support bacteria.

        Makes sense. Supports what my veterinary uncle from Russia suggested,
        although he did not formulate it quite so clearly.

        Predslava,
        wishing for period sources all the same, just because.