Re: More food-terms translation help

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 1999
      On Fri, 29 Oct 1999 MHoll@... wrote:
      > <vinnyi>, as you suspect, cannot refer to vodka, at least not in period. From
      > another secondary source (with a good survey of primary sources, etc) I
      > remember the comment that vodka, and other distilled spirits, did not make
      > their appearance in Russia before the XVII century, and when it did,
      > distillation and sale were strictly regulated by the crown (hear: state
      > monopoly).

      Hm... were you by chance thinking of _Bread and Salt_?

      Disclaimer: I don't speak for Eisental, and nobody in Eisental speaks for me.

      "But the world is cold. For me, the warm places are few and far between."
      -- Charles DeLint, _Someplace to Be Flying_
    • MHoll@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 1999
        In a message dated 11/1/1999 7:53:41 AM Central Standard Time,
        jenne@... writes:

        > Hm... were you by chance thinking of _Bread and Salt_?

        Yep, and judging from an earlier posting by Yana, I may be a little off on my
        dates. Still, vodka does not seem to make an appearance as a spirit of choice
        until the XVII cent. I, for one, can do without. Cordials, one the other
        hand.....

        Predslava.
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 1999
          On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 MHoll@... wrote:
          > > Hm... were you by chance thinking of _Bread and Salt_?
          > Yep, and judging from an earlier posting by Yana, I may be a little off on my
          > dates. Still, vodka does not seem to make an appearance as a spirit of choice
          > until the XVII cent. I, for one, can do without. Cordials, one the other
          > hand.....

          Close enough, though. If I recall _Bread and Salt_ correctly, state
          control of distilled liquor followed hard on the heels of it's growth in
          popularity. However, at the same time, restrictions on when and how much
          beer (as opposed to kvas) a family could brew seem to have come in.