Re: Neo's outfit in Matrix Reloaded

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2003
      The minute I saw it I thought it looked like a zupan. I think it is
      very close in cut... if you added the little 'dog ears' to the cuffs,
      it would be hard to call it anything else. Somebody was saying that
      it was made from leather, and (looking it up) I learned that it was
      originally designed and made in leather, but it did not hang/float
      right so they made it from cloth for the movie. -Rick

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Jarrett <gtg346g@m...> wrote:
      > Yeah I know, that's not exactly a promising email title. But I was
      > watching the movie and thinking about it. And truth is it looks
      slavic
      > (to me at least) but I can't find any details about garb that comes
      > close to looking like it. Is it Slavic? Is it even period?
      >
      > Misha the lurker
    • P&MSulisz
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2003
        Witam,
        Kontush has very special construction of a back ( It is called 'slup' =
        pillar) and much longer sleeves. I'm not sure if Neo's garb is constructed
        in this way.
        For me it looks like variation on zupan (jupan, jupe) theme... or like
        czechman (tchechman).
        Regards,
        Magdalena of Vratislavia

        [Edited by moderator. Do not quote entire posts in your replies, especially when they are longer than your own words.]
      • Mark S. Wolf (Yanushonis, Zikowski)
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2003
          this outfit is an soutane which is the kaftan worn by Jesuet priests
          it does look outwardly like Zupan (nothing like a kontush) but if
          you truely want to be accurate dont use it there are patterns out
          there for Zupans which start to appear in the 16th c.