Neo's outfit in Matrix Reloaded

  • MoxFool@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2003
      In a message dated 9/5/2003 7:31:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      sig@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:24:21 -0400
      > From: Patrick Jarrett <gtg346g@...>
      > Subject: Neo's outfit in Matrix Reloaded
      >
      > Yeah I know, that's not exactly a promising email title. But I was
      > watching the movie and thinking about it. And truth is it looks slavic
      > (to me at least) but I can't find any details about garb that comes
      > close to looking like it. Is it Slavic? Is it even period?
      >
      > Misha the lurker

      I plan on shortning his duster and using it for a Polish Kontuz Dragoon's
      coat.

      Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
      Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, <A HREF="http://www.midrealm.org/talonvale/">The Shire of Talonvale</A>
      Ward to THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R.
      MOFIT, shire Rapier Marshal
      "Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens." Jimmi Hendrix

    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2003
        The minute I saw it I thought it looked like a zupan. I think it is
        very close in cut... if you added the little 'dog ears' to the cuffs,
        it would be hard to call it anything else. Somebody was saying that
        it was made from leather, and (looking it up) I learned that it was
        originally designed and made in leather, but it did not hang/float
        right so they made it from cloth for the movie. -Rick

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Jarrett <gtg346g@m...> wrote:
        > Yeah I know, that's not exactly a promising email title. But I was
        > watching the movie and thinking about it. And truth is it looks
        slavic
        > (to me at least) but I can't find any details about garb that comes
        > close to looking like it. Is it Slavic? Is it even period?
        >
        > Misha the lurker
      • P&MSulisz
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2003
          Witam,
          Kontush has very special construction of a back ( It is called 'slup' =
          pillar) and much longer sleeves. I'm not sure if Neo's garb is constructed
          in this way.
          For me it looks like variation on zupan (jupan, jupe) theme... or like
          czechman (tchechman).
          Regards,
          Magdalena of Vratislavia

          [Edited by moderator. Do not quote entire posts in your replies, especially when they are longer than your own words.]
        • Mark S. Wolf (Yanushonis, Zikowski)
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2003
            this outfit is an soutane which is the kaftan worn by Jesuet priests
            it does look outwardly like Zupan (nothing like a kontush) but if
            you truely want to be accurate dont use it there are patterns out
            there for Zupans which start to appear in the 16th c.