Neo's outfit in Matrix Reloaded

  • Patrick Jarrett
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2003
      Yeah I know, that's not exactly a promising email title. But I was
      watching the movie and thinking about it. And truth is it looks slavic
      (to me at least) but I can't find any details about garb that comes
      close to looking like it. Is it Slavic? Is it even period?

      Misha the lurker
    • MoxFool@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2003
        In a message dated 9/5/2003 7:31:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        sig@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > Message: 2
        > Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:24:21 -0400
        > From: Patrick Jarrett <gtg346g@...>
        > Subject: Neo's outfit in Matrix Reloaded
        >
        > Yeah I know, that's not exactly a promising email title. But I was
        > watching the movie and thinking about it. And truth is it looks slavic
        > (to me at least) but I can't find any details about garb that comes
        > close to looking like it. Is it Slavic? Is it even period?
        >
        > Misha the lurker

        I plan on shortning his duster and using it for a Polish Kontuz Dragoon's
        coat.

        Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
        Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, <A HREF="http://www.midrealm.org/talonvale/">The Shire of Talonvale</A>
        Ward to THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R.
        MOFIT, shire Rapier Marshal
        "Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens." Jimmi Hendrix

      • Rick Orli
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2003
          The minute I saw it I thought it looked like a zupan. I think it is
          very close in cut... if you added the little 'dog ears' to the cuffs,
          it would be hard to call it anything else. Somebody was saying that
          it was made from leather, and (looking it up) I learned that it was
          originally designed and made in leather, but it did not hang/float
          right so they made it from cloth for the movie. -Rick

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Jarrett <gtg346g@m...> wrote:
          > Yeah I know, that's not exactly a promising email title. But I was
          > watching the movie and thinking about it. And truth is it looks
          slavic
          > (to me at least) but I can't find any details about garb that comes
          > close to looking like it. Is it Slavic? Is it even period?
          >
          > Misha the lurker
        • P&MSulisz
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2003
            Witam,
            Kontush has very special construction of a back ( It is called 'slup' =
            pillar) and much longer sleeves. I'm not sure if Neo's garb is constructed
            in this way.
            For me it looks like variation on zupan (jupan, jupe) theme... or like
            czechman (tchechman).
            Regards,
            Magdalena of Vratislavia

            [Edited by moderator. Do not quote entire posts in your replies, especially when they are longer than your own words.]
          • Mark S. Wolf (Yanushonis, Zikowski)
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 8, 2003
              this outfit is an soutane which is the kaftan worn by Jesuet priests
              it does look outwardly like Zupan (nothing like a kontush) but if
              you truely want to be accurate dont use it there are patterns out
              there for Zupans which start to appear in the 16th c.