Polish translation

  • MoxFool@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      In a message dated 9/1/2003 7:16:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      sig@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Polska Pozdrawiam,

      What does this mean? I have a saber, that says "Vivat Wohlnosc Polska 1791"
      on the blade. The middle word I am unsure of as to the spelling - it's in a
      flowery script and I can't read if the "h" is really an H or an R. Help
      appreciated. And are there some good sources for period phrases from Polish to English?
      Thanks!

      Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
      Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, <A HREF="http://www.midrealm.org/talonvale/">The Shire of Talonvale</A>
      Ward to THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R.
      MOFIT, shire Rapier Marshal
      "Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens." Jimmi Hendrix

    • sismith42
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        > appreciated. And are there some good sources for period phrases
        from Polish to English?
        > Thanks!

        It's not great, but there is an online Polish-English translator at
        http://www.poltran.com/pl.php4
        It gives a rough idea and might (or might not) help you... I (with
        verry little understanding of the launguage) use it for quick "what
        does that mean" checks when I'm online and want instant
        gratification.

        Stefania
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
          In a message dated 9/1/2003 6:30:24 AM Central Daylight Time, MoxFool@...
          writes:
          "Vivat Wohlnosc Polska 1791"
          Long live Polish freedom.

          Predslava.

        • Wojtek Wilk
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
            > Polska Pozdrawiam,

            What does this mean? I have a saber, that says "Vivat
            Wohlnosc Polska 1791"
            on the blade. The middle word I am unsure of as to the
            spelling - it's in a
            flowery script and I can't read if the "h" is really an H or
            an R. Help
            appreciated. And are there some good sources for period
            phrases from Polish to English?
            Thanks!
            ---

            Pozdrawiam means: Regards,
            The inscription on that blade means "Liberty of Poland"
            It is not Wohlnosc but Wolnosc in fact. Artistic
            inscriptions are confusing sometimes.
            That saber must be a ceremonial blade or..does it have
            any damages signifying it was used in a duel or battle?

            Look for on-line Polish grammar for foreigners:-)
            I have not heard of any webpage about this.

            Wojtek