Re: "the red"

  • shannon anderson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2003
      Using a description in someone's name seems perfectly
      period as far as I can tell for the Russians.
      I can't find anything specifically about the practice
      of using color as the byname, but there are lots of
      other kinds, location, career, etc.
      But I think if being "red" was a really outstanding
      characteristic, then it could very well have been
      used. What with Ivan being Terrible, and Yaroslav
      being Wise, it seems that epithets are perfectly
      acceptable in varying formats...

      But if someone has hard documentation for a color,
      that would be great.

      Margarita

      =====
      http://search.yahoo.com