Re: [sig] Re: Turning Fergus Russian

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28, 2003
      In a message dated 8/28/2003 5:20:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
      dvryaboy@... writes:
      The Khazar kaganate could be considered "Russian Jewish" -- it was not
      a part of Russia, but modern Russia includes the area that was once
      under Khazar dominion.
      No, wait a second, what kind of a bias are you accusing me of? Late-period?
      Me? As in favoring late period? ME??? Haven't I been vocal enough about how I
      dislike the late period???

      OK, enough badinage. Serious answer follows:

      I avoided the whole Khazar question for two very simple reasons:
      1) They were not Russian either ethnically, culturally, or linguistically.
      2) They were not Jewish in the sense that they were not descended from the
      Jews of the Middle East. They converted, and therefore they are rather outside
      the scope of Fergus's query.

      The Khazars just happened to live on a territory that became part of Russia.

      Predslava.

    • marya kargashina
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28, 2003
        yes, actually he is a redhead...

        marya kargashina

        > 16th century the name would mean "the handsome" or "the red". If you
        really
        > want "the red" as in "red head" (is he? I'm assuming here), a better word
        would
        > be "ryzhii" (which appears in Paul's dictionary spelled "ryzhei" but you
        can
        > take my word for it that "-ii" is the more common spelling; documentable,
        > should the need arise).
      • "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 28, 2003
          Greetings!

          > OK, enough badinage. Serious answer follows:
          >
          > I avoided the whole Khazar question for two very simple reasons:
          > 1) They were not Russian either ethnically, culturally, or linguistically.
          > 2) They were not Jewish in the sense that they were not descended from the
          > Jews of the Middle East. They converted, and therefore they are rather outside
          > the scope of Fergus's query.
          >
          > The Khazars just happened to live on a territory that became part of Russia.

          Predslava I usually hate to have argument wih you 'cause we do not share same sources. But -

          Dmitry, could you find my brief referral on the special Rus-Jew issue of Rodina in the Kaganate list? Afair, the thing I mean was mentioned by me then -

          There was a bunch of RUSSIAN nicknames in a Jew-biased message found in the Kievan region, that led the historians tj the statement there was plenty of Jew Russians to be considered Jews by faith though they were Russians by biological (maybe even social&&&) origin. It's about mid-2002.

          Dmitry, alas, I have no time to subscribe me and you for the second half of 2003. Afair Akademicheskaya Kniga makes the subscription in the US. At least try contact them, as I may miss some issues buying them and not subscribing to. The package with the Rodinas is due to start out for you to\morrow morning. At last I earn enough to do it.