Re: [sig] Feedback on books

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2003
      In a message dated 8/26/2003 11:47:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
      kseniia@... writes:
      by Boris Rybakov:<...> The books are "Paganism of the Ancient Slavs"
      (1981)and "Paganism of Ancient Rus'" (1987), and are in Russian.
      These books are enormously popular, which is not surprising, since they're
      the only "scholarly" and "comprehensive" books on the subject. Note the "",
      however.

      I will repeat my eternal caveats here: THERE ARE NO WRITTEN DOCUMENTS ABOUT
      PAGANISM IN PERIOD IN RUSSIA. There are vague reference to pagan rites and
      beliefs, but whethere these are reliable and what they refer to, and whether they
      were written by contemporaries at all, is a conjecture always debated by
      scholars.

      WE STILL DON'T KNOW ANYTHING USEFUL ABOUT PAGANISM IN PRE-CHRISTIAN RUSSIA.
      We don't know whether there was a caste or some kind of hierarchy of priests.
      We don't know whether there was a pantheon or structured mythology, or rather
      an animistic religion (most likely). We have artifacts and monuments which are
      probably religious and predate Christianity, but we still don't really know
      their significance.

      Rybakov tries to guess. He compares the various Slavic groups and their 19th
      century traditions in order to elucidate pre-Christian beliefs. The problem is
      we can't compare late-modern West Slavic folklore with early-medieval
      East-Slavic artifacts. THERE IS NO CONTINUITY, there IS NO PROOF AND NO DOCUMENTS,
      and Rybakov provides none.

      His books are a curiosity. But for our purposes and for our game of accurate
      historical recreation, they're not useful.

      Except for one thing. Nice pictures of period jewelry. But I don't know how
      that would come across in electronic format.

      Predslava Vydrina
      Per fess embattled Azure and Gules, two otters passant Or.
      Barony of Bjornsborg, Ansteorra

    • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2003
        Thanks, Predslava! That's exactly what I wanted to know. :)

        -- Kseniia