Re: body Art

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2003
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "TechnoRabbik" <wladyslaw@m...> wrote:
      > I am looking for information on tattoos that may have been found
      on a
      > polish persona around 1300-1400's. Any links would be greatly
      > appreciated. I intend to use henna to apply them, as I have a hard
      > time believing i could find an image i would want to live with for
      the
      > rest of my life.
      While I have never found any reference to tatoos in that area, many
      cutures settling in Solesia and Galacia might have had some, but
      would not necessarily have passed them on. For example, Nestorian
      Christians from the East settled in Khazaria in the 10-11th
      centuries because of religious freedom, and many moved on to Kiev in
      the 12th. The growing strenght and influence of the Russian Orthdox
      church excluded these people and many were sent on West as slaves or
      serf labor. They were tatood with the 'fish' symbol or three 'X' as
      a mark of Christ. In 'Polish' lands they would have been Roman
      Christian by fiat and probably actively converted while hiding their
      tatoos.

      Kinjal

      > Thanks for any info
      >
      > Wladyslaw of Seamarch
    • P&MSulisz
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2003
        Dear sir of Seamarch,
        (polish: z Pomorza)
        Your question is a difficult one. I've never meet any body art at period
        iconography. I think it would rather be banned at this particular region at
        this time. The christianity was too fresh and church was still struggling
        with paganism and anything like that could be considered an evidence of it
        (or witchcraft, black magic etc.). If you are pagan it is quite different
        story. You can adorn yourself with solar crosses or some ornaments very
        similiar to that Viking's one.
        Magdalena of Vratislavia