Re: 1400 AD Hungarian Garb

  • redlocks999
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 11, 2003
      Hi you can try the Renaissance Tailors Website.
      Clicks on demos and then scroll down to Eastern European.
      She has a lot of very simple rectangular construction ideas as well as Patterns for
      Boots, Hats and Coats.
      http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_main.htm

      Regards, Red

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "firezboi" <firezboi@y...> wrote:
      > I am a new S.C.A. member looking for links to Hungarian garb from
      > the 1400's. If anyone knows where I can get links to websites or
      > books please let me know.
      >
      > Istvan Janosfi
      > Barony of Illiton http://www.illiton.org
      > Kingdom of Midrealm http://www.midrealm.org
    • He Who Knows Nothing
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 29, 2003
        I was wondering if anyone could give me the centuries
        for the SCA.

        600 AD-I do believe would be the 5th Century ect...

        I would need this information before November
        7th...becuase I am giving a demo at Carl Sandburg
        College here in Illinois, on the Medieval times more
        specific during my Personas time period, which I do
        believe if I remember correctly was born either 1438
        AD or 1538 AD during the Golden Period of Hungry.
        Also if anyone could send the direct links to any
        Historical information regarding my Personas Time
        Period that would also be nice. Thank you.

        Istvan Janosfi
        Barony Of Illiton (soon to be Shire of Seawind)
        Kingdom of Midrealm (soon to be Kingdom of Ansteorra)

        Thank you again for your time, and help.

        =====
        "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, then it must be a cow!"

      • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 29, 2003
          > I was wondering if anyone could give me the centuries
          > for the SCA.
          > 600 AD-I do believe would be the 5th Century ect...

          The SCA has no official start date and varying opinions on the unoffical
          start date.

          The official end date is the beginning of the 17th century, i.e. 1601

          "Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
          are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." --James Quinn
        • He Who Knows Nothing
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 29, 2003
            Okay,
            So what century would:
            600 AD
            700 AD
            800 AD
            900 AD
            1000 AD
            1100 AD
            1200 AD
            1300 AD
            1400 AD
            1500 AD
            1600 AD

            be?

            That is what I am primarily looking for.

            Istvan Janosfi
            --- jenne@... wrote:
            > > I was wondering if anyone could give me the
            > centuries
            > > for the SCA.
            > > 600 AD-I do believe would be the 5th Century
            > ect...
            >
            > The SCA has no official start date and varying
            > opinions on the unoffical
            > start date.
            >
            > The official end date is the beginning of the 17th
            > century, i.e. 1601
            >

            > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
            > jenne@...
            > "Our whole American way of life is a great war of
            > ideas, and librarians
            > are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
            > --James Quinn

            =====
            "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, then it must be a cow!"

          • Malcolm mac Culloch
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 29, 2003
              That would be the 7th-17th Centuries, respectively....

              Almos

              [Edited by Yana, the moderator, who is getting tired of editing posts. Clip better, people, whether you are new or old members.]
            • MoxFool@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 30, 2003
                Why was it changed from 1650 to 1600?

                "A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its
                warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools"
                -Thucydides.
                Tom Nadratowski <A HREF="http://www.footballguys.com/">Footballguys.com</A>

              • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 30, 2003
                  > Why was it changed from 1650 to 1600?

                  It's always been 'pre-17th century', i.e. pre 1601.

                  There has always been a heraldic 'gray period' between 1600 and 1650 in
                  terms of names, etc. since someone who was an adult and appeared in
                  records in 1649 might well have been been born before 1600.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 30, 2003
                    The trick is to add one when doing the -th century:

                    > 600 AD =7th century
                    > 700 AD =8th century
                    > 800 AD =9th century
                    > 900 AD =10th century
                    > 1000 AD =11th century
                    > 1100 AD =12th century
                    > 1200 AD =13th century
                    > 1300 AD =14th century
                    > 1400 AD =15th century
                    > 1500 AD =16th century
                    > 1600 AD = 17th century
                    >
                    > be?
                    >
                    > That is what I am primarily looking for.
                    >
                    > Istvan Janosfi
                    > --- jenne@... wrote:
                    > > > I was wondering if anyone could give me the
                    > > centuries
                    > > > for the SCA.
                    > > > 600 AD-I do believe would be the 5th Century
                    > > ect...
                    > >
                    > > The SCA has no official start date and varying
                    > > opinions on the unoffical
                    > > start date.
                    > >
                    > > The official end date is the beginning of the 17th
                    > > century, i.e. 1601
                    > >

                    > > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
                    > > jenne@...
                    > > "Our whole American way of life is a great war of
                    > > ideas, and librarians
                    > > are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
                    > > --James Quinn
                    > >

                    > =====
                    > "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, then it must be a cow!"

                    "Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
                    are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." --James Quinn
                  • Alastair Millar
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 30, 2003
                      600 AD = last year of the 6th century : 700 AD = last year of the 7th
                      century : 800 AD = last year of the 8th century : 900 AD = last year of the
                      9th century : 1000 AD = last year of the 10th century : 1100 AD = last year
                      of the 11th century : 1200 AD = last year of the 12th century : 1300 AD =
                      last year of the 13th century : 1400 AD = last year of the 14th century :
                      1500 AD = last year of the 15th century : 1600 AD = last year of the 16th
                      century

                      Alastair

                      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
                      P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
                    • Dmitriy Ryaboy
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 30, 2003
                        Hi Istvan,
                        I am probably going to get jumped for this, but.. are you sure that
                        you are qualified to teach a demo on your period when you have to ask
                        a question such as the one quoted below, and aren't even sure which
                        100 years your persona was born in? Spreading information is good,
                        but spreading misinformation is very, very bad -- worse then not
                        saying anything at all. Especially at a college, which is, in theory,
                        an institution of higher learning.

                        Dmitriy
                        trying to say this in the nicest way possible, honest

                        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, He Who Knows Nothing <firezboi@y...> wrote:
                        > Okay,
                        > So what century would:
                        > 600 AD
                        > 700 AD
                        <etc>
                        > be?
                        >
                        > That is what I am primarily looking for.
                        >
                        > Istvan Janosfi
                      • He Who Knows Nothing
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 30, 2003
                          Dmitriy,
                          Don't worry not going to jump you. Lol. My
                          presentation is for a GED class. I am awaiting a
                          friend to send me the information on my SCA persona
                          that I asked him to hold for me. Well I should say a
                          copy of it. Over 300 dollars worth of sca accessories
                          and information was just stolen from me recently
                          including my persona information...back up copies are
                          always wonderful though. I am mostly discussing what
                          life was like, and a bit about my persona and what his
                          life was like. Nothing major, this isn't for any of
                          the students grade. They needed someone to fill in an
                          hours time slot, so they came to me becuase I gave a
                          presentation similar to this last year. Twice!!! The
                          century thing, no one had every explained to me that
                          is why I asked about that. But I do understand where
                          you are coming from.

                          Istvan

                          =====
                          "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, then it must be a cow!"

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
                            > Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:58:41 -0800 (PST)
                            > From: He Who Knows Nothing <firezboi@...>
                            > Subject: Re: Time Centuries for 600 AD to 1600 AD
                            > Okay,
                            > So what century would:
                            > 600 AD
                            > 700 AD
                            > 800 AD
                            > 900 AD
                            > 1000 AD
                            > 1100 AD
                            > 1200 AD
                            > 1300 AD
                            > 1400 AD
                            > 1500 AD
                            > 1600 AD
                            > be?
                            > That is what I am primarily looking for.
                            > Istvan Janosfi

                            It's always one less. Remember, 1900s was the 20th
                            century? So, 600AD is the 5th Century, 700AD is the
                            6th century and so forth.
                            --Sfandra

                            =====
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
                              > > Why was it changed from 1650 to 1600?
                              > It's always been 'pre-17th century', i.e. pre 1601.
                              > There has always been a heraldic 'gray period'
                              > between 1600 and 1650 in
                              > terms of names, etc. since someone who was an adult
                              > and appeared in
                              > records in 1649 might well have been been born
                              > before 1600.

                              I heard that the gray area came about from using dance
                              manuals dating between 1600 and 1650, functioning
                              under the idea that if a dance had been around long
                              enough to make it into a manual, it probably began
                              being done more than 50 years before. Which is silly,
                              IMO, since dances change almost as quickly as fashion.
                              I usually tell people we go "through" the Reign of
                              Elizabeth I, which puts the end date at 1603.
                              --Sfandra

                              =====
                            • pavla_dmitrovna
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
                                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Sfandra wrote:
                                > It's always one less. Remember, 1900s was the 20th
                                > century? So, 600AD is the 5th Century, 700AD is the
                                > 6th century and so forth.

                                I think there's a math error there. :)

                                This is nitpicky, but new centuries begin on the '01. So 700 was
                                still the 7th century but 701 was the 8th.

                                -Pavla
                              • raeadhani
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
                                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <jenne@f...> wrote:
                                  > > Why was it changed from 1650 to 1600?

                                  I had heard that it stopped with the death of Elizabeth in 1603
                                • Dmitriy Ryaboy
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
                                    > I usually tell people we go "through" the Reign of
                                    > Elizabeth I, which puts the end date at 1603.
                                    > --Sfandra

                                    I just lie and say we stop at 1485, Battle of Bosworth. (No, I don't
                                    really do that, it's a joke...). I like the concept though. Fall of
                                    Rome to the end of the War of the Roses, nice and neat. Coincides
                                    with Russian history markers well, too.

                                    -Dmitriy
                                  • MoxFool@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
                                      In a message dated 10/31/2003 2:56:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                      raeadhani@... writes:

                                      > I had heard that it stopped with the death of Elizabeth in 1603

                                      Thanks! But, why the change back from 1650 to 1600-03?

                                      "A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its
                                      warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools"
                                      -Thucydides.
                                      Tom Nadratowski <A HREF="http://www.footballguys.com/">Footballguys.com</A>

                                    • Nenad Lockic
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                                        > This is nitpicky, but new centuries begin on the '01. So 700 was
                                        > still the 7th century but 701 was the 8th.
                                        >
                                        > -Pavla

                                        Pavla,

                                        you are right. Milions of people beleived that waiting New Year 2000.
                                        they waited new millenium. So, they are making mistake counting 0 year
                                        which not exist. At the time scale after -1 (1. year B.C.) next is A.D.
                                        1. So, A.D. is last year oif first decade, A.D. 100 is the last year of
                                        first century, etc.

                                        Regards,
                                        Lockey
                                      • redlocks999
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 5, 2003
                                          Although the charter states pre-17th Century I have found documents that say 600
                                          -1600 or 1650. Needless to say there are well-founded arguments for both sides. I
                                          mean what would we do without all those handsome cavaliers & winged hussars
                                          striding about? Besides to end it at 1485 would be a shame that's 165 years of
                                          intellectual and cultural ferment. While I respect your predilection towards the early
                                          ages I must protest ; )

                                          Just my two silver groshi, Julia