Introductions

  • redlocks999
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2003
      Hello, I am new to the list and wanted to introduce myself. I am from a lot of places
      North of the Great Mountain in the Barony of Adiantum and before that Adenveldt.
      I've been traveling long and have finally settled in the beautiful and abundant Bay of
      the Principality of the Mists. I have decided to come back into the fold so the speak
      and would love to develop a young female late 12th century Slavic persona. I am
      particularly interested the inhabitants of the Tatra Mountains in Poland,
      Czechoslovakia and Hungary. I have been trying to research the highlanders,
      shepherds & tradesmen whom inhabited these mountains. Anyone who could possibly
      point me in the right direction for further research would be most helpful especially
      in the naming department I love the letter J.
      I can do the research at the San Francisco Library if any one knows a particular ISBN
      number.

      Best Regards, Red
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2003
        > I am particularly interested the inhabitants of the
        > Tatra Mountains in Poland, Czechoslovakia and
        > Hungary.

        Your search may be more fruitful if you refine it to "Slovakia" -
        Czechoslovakia ceased to exist over a decade ago, and the word is a purely
        political, not geographic, term... so won't be used in any more recent work
        of any value.

        The Tatras do not extend into modern Hungary, or indeed into the Czech
        Republic, but you might also want to look for details of the peoples of the
        White Carpathians (Czech/Slovak border) or even the Carpathians proper.

        Cheers

        Alastair

        Alastair Millar BSc (Hons) - alastair@...
        Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
        P.O. Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
      • jennifer knox
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2003
          i lived in slovakia for quite some time, and i have a few pictures (ive been meaning to scan) and have posted germano-slovak names on the list. they are only male names, though, if you are interested, let me know. i also have a link to a page thats only in russian, but is about nomadic culture in those parts, you can run it through a translation for a humorous but still understandable result!
          anya

          "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt