body Art

  • TechnoRabbik
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2003
      I am looking for information on tattoos that may have been found on a
      polish persona around 1300-1400's. Any links would be greatly
      appreciated. I intend to use henna to apply them, as I have a hard
      time believing i could find an image i would want to live with for the
      rest of my life.

      Thanks for any info

      Wladyslaw of Seamarch
    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2003
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "TechnoRabbik" <wladyslaw@m...> wrote:
        > I am looking for information on tattoos that may have been found
        on a
        > polish persona around 1300-1400's. Any links would be greatly
        > appreciated. I intend to use henna to apply them, as I have a hard
        > time believing i could find an image i would want to live with for
        the
        > rest of my life.
        While I have never found any reference to tatoos in that area, many
        cutures settling in Solesia and Galacia might have had some, but
        would not necessarily have passed them on. For example, Nestorian
        Christians from the East settled in Khazaria in the 10-11th
        centuries because of religious freedom, and many moved on to Kiev in
        the 12th. The growing strenght and influence of the Russian Orthdox
        church excluded these people and many were sent on West as slaves or
        serf labor. They were tatood with the 'fish' symbol or three 'X' as
        a mark of Christ. In 'Polish' lands they would have been Roman
        Christian by fiat and probably actively converted while hiding their
        tatoos.

        Kinjal

        > Thanks for any info
        >
        > Wladyslaw of Seamarch
      • P&MSulisz
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2003
          Dear sir of Seamarch,
          (polish: z Pomorza)
          Your question is a difficult one. I've never meet any body art at period
          iconography. I think it would rather be banned at this particular region at
          this time. The christianity was too fresh and church was still struggling
          with paganism and anything like that could be considered an evidence of it
          (or witchcraft, black magic etc.). If you are pagan it is quite different
          story. You can adorn yourself with solar crosses or some ornaments very
          similiar to that Viking's one.
          Magdalena of Vratislavia