Re: [sig] Re: Pennsic?

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 31, 2003
      Lidia, I won't be there until Monday, either, but my Mom is Croatian, and
      one of my garbs will be Dalmatian. I'd love to hobnob with you during the
      War. I'll be in the Carillion encampment, we'll be the ones with the
      Travelers' caravan.

      Margita

      At 02:51 PM 7/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >Drats! I will not be getting there until Monday afternoon, as I have
      >to work that Saturday and Sunday.
      >
      >Will there be any classes that someone interested in developing a
      >Southern Slavic personae (i.e. from Ragusa) might benefit from?
      >
      >Thanks again!
      >Lidia

    • Paul W Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 22, 2007
        I haven't heard anything about Pennsic this year. Is there any news
        of the SIG gathering or other Slavic stuff?

        -- Paul
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
          --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:
          > I haven't heard anything about Pennsic this year.
          > Is there any news
          > of the SIG gathering or other Slavic stuff?
          >
          > -- Paul

          The SIG Roundtable, I thought, was fun. We had about
          10 people. I brought water and pierogies, and had fun
          feeding people (cookin' in the rain, woo hoo!).

          One gentleman, who's name I didn't catch, sang us a
          lovely song, a folk blessing i believe it was, in
          Ukrainian.

          Michael of Safia came with extra handouts from his
          Russian Archeology 101 class. I have a copy, and will
          see if Michael will let me scan it into our Files.

          One Micholai, a polish-persona young man from the
          East, was our "newbie" of the day, and he should be
          joining the List here soon.

          In other news, I was delighted with the turnout for my
          first time teaching at Pennsic. I had over 30 for my
          Kievan Garb class, and I'm thinking next year I might
          put together a full Kievan Curricula, since I had far
          more fun teaching than I did fighting this year
          (Tuesday! Oy vey!). If anyone here on the list took
          any of my 3 classes, I'd love some feedback on how I
          did! Just shoot me a note privately. The Shopping
          Class was much fun, for the Merchants as well as the
          students. ArabBoy had no idea that glass bracelets
          were period for Russia too! And as a note: I recieved
          NO preference, discounts or anything from the
          Merchants we visited. I and some others had taken
          Luceta's class on the folkloric meanings of Ukrainian
          Embroidery, and we were excited to find trim at
          Calontir Trim that had the same designs that Luceta
          taught. I didn't get to anyone else's classes,
          unfortunately, because of household obligations, but I
          have Plans for next Pennsic. :D

          I thought it was a great Pennsic, despite the weather.

          Cheers,
          Sfandra Dmitrieva

          ******************
          Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
          Haus Von Drakenklaue
          Kingdom of the East
          ******************
          Never 'pearl' your butt.

        • Marilyn
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
            Sfandra hosted a very nice discussion group this year. ( Our Thank You's to
            her!) She even procured some excellent pirougies
            And cooked them at the meeting! ( In the rain even.) I didn't get an exact
            count on attendance but around 20 is probably a reasonable guess.

            Marija

          • Patoodle@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
              I'm sorry I missed the SIG meeting this year! I had to go "into town" mundanely to buy dinner supplies for my camp, and when I got back to camp to drop off the purchases, it was already past 3 p.m. and it was raining, and I just needed to chill out for a bit before starting in on my "cooking night."

              But I did really enjoy Sfandra's Kievan Garb class. Yeah, my persona is Lithuanian and not Rus, but a gal's gotta wear *something*....

              Also at Pennsic, I spent $70 on a book that I can't read because it's all in Lithuanian (except for 10 pages in Russian and 2 pages in English). But that will have to be a separate post, because I left the book at home and I'm now at work.

              Best wishes,
              Lady Patricia of Trakai

              Sfandra hosted a very nice discussion group this year. ( Our Thank You's to
              her!) She even procured some excellent pirougies
              And cooked them at the meeting! ( In the rain even.) I didn't get an exact
              count on attendance but around 20 is probably a reasonable guess.

              Marija

            • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
                On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 07:17:30AM -0700, Sfandra wrote:
                > --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:
                > > I haven't heard anything about Pennsic this year.
                > > Is there any news
                > > of the SIG gathering or other Slavic stuff?

                Many thanks to Sfandra for hosting the gathering this year. It was a
                great deal of fun!

              • karen
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
                  I had the pleasure of catching Sfandra's kievan garb class, which I
                  must say was wonderful! Sadly I couldn't get out of camp for the
                  meeting. Many thanks to Sfandra for all of her hard work!

                  Kashka
                • Gloryanna MacKee
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 24, 2007
                    I regret I wasn't able to make it to any of the classes or the meeting, My
                    babysitting duties kept me away from the classes and then for them meeting,
                    I was busy packing so we could leave the next day.

                    They only class I was able to make was a 16th Century Ottoman Embroidery
                    class, which I loved. Learned to sew with Silk and Gold thread...

                    Though it rained a lot, I really did enjoy pennsic, it was a break from the
                    real world and when I went back into it, and had to stop at a gas station
                    where all the alarms were going off, people talking on speakers, music
                    blaring, I wanted to turn around and go back to the continual drums and the
                    constant mud.

                    Gloryanna

                    >From: "karen" <kievanlady@...>
                    >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [sig] Re: Pennsic?
                    >Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 02:54:05 -0000
                    >
                    >I had the pleasure of catching Sfandra's kievan garb class, which I
                    >must say was wonderful! Sadly I couldn't get out of camp for the
                    >meeting. Many thanks to Sfandra for all of her hard work!
                    >
                    >Kashka

                    Puzzles, trivia teasers, word scrambles and more. Play for your chance to
                    win! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink
                  • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 24, 2007
                      Sfandra's Pierogi's were yummy!

                      I handed out a bunch of flyers for the Slavic University -
                      http://www.midrealm.org/talonvale/sigslum.html.

                      I still need more teachers!
                      --
                      Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                      "Most people live their lives as if they had another one in the bank" - Ben

                      Servant of His Majesty Sir Dag Thorgrimsson and Master Mordok Rostovskogo

                    • Paul W Goldschmidt
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 1, 2011
                        I'm starting to put together the Fall Slovo and realizing that I have
                        nothing at all about Pennsic in it. Was there a gathering? Does
                        anyone have pictures? Does anyone want to write a brief about it?

                        -- Paul
                      • Pavel
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 9, 2011
                          Yea, dunno, heard one was planned, but I was only there mid war week this year and it was on Monday.

                          btw, and this would be to the whole sig list, what are all the slavic households that do show up pennsics, or sca events. I have heard of the slavic village, but am wondering if there are any others.

                          Thanks,
                          pawel/jarnhauss

                          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

                          > I'm starting to put together the Fall Slovo and realizing that I have
                          > nothing at all about Pennsic in it. Was there a gathering? Does
                          > anyone have pictures? Does anyone want to write a brief about it?
                          >
                          > -- Paul

                        • goldschp tds.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 10, 2014
                            Any word about a gathering at Pennsic this year?

                            Paul