Re: [sig] Verbal stuff

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2003
      > I just watched a program illustrating how the Indians of Southern
      > Oregon prepare salmon. While praising Mother Earth and using
      > obsidian knives they prepare and roast the fish on skewers in the
      > same manner that their ancestors did 22,000 years ago. Need it
      > change?

      As you point out, the tools whereby the preparation and cooking occured
      did not change in the intervening period. Furthermore, this ritual
      activity has been preserved qua ritual. I am not aware of any extant
      examples of Eastern European ritual food preparation that we cannot prove
      HAVE changed in the last hundred years, so I don't think we can consider
      the survival of food preparation techniques unchanged by the Eastern
      Europeans to have been considered a Sacred Duty along the lines of, say,
      performance of the Christian Mass.

      However, for our period of study, we DO know that the tools (ovens,
      heating equipment, preparation equipment) in Eastern Europe did change.
      And within the periods for which we have documentation, we can prove that
      the foods and the food preparation did change based on contact with other
      cultures and changes in equipment. There is no reason to believe that
      before our period of study the culture was static.

      "History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns
      to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive. It knows the names of the
      king's bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of
      human folly." -- Jean-Henri Fabre