Re: [sig] Polish court?

  • Casey Jakubowski
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 10, 2003
      I do remember this :

      Krakow was the capital of the Kingdom of Poalnd, which was divided into greater and lesser poland. The area around Pozan, Gdansk and Lvov were some of the larger dukedoms. (when not possesed by others). Poland was making inroads into Galacia (which I gues is Ukrane/Belarus today) and had permission to crusade against the Kievian/ Mongols and Lituanians by two popes (Gergory the VII or VIII sticks out in my mind) in addition, poland had placed a member of the blood on the throne of Hungary (just Hunagry) and had refused bishops from Prussia, instead accepting the bishops from Buda and Pest (Budapest) instead. Much of this stuff is close to 10 years old in my memory... So I hope its accurate

      Casey J
      Casmir the Scholar

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11, 2003
        ------
[...]

        ---------------------------------
        I need to update it: Belarus today has no borders with historic
        Galicia. In the time of Lithuanian Duchy Blearus was a part of
        Lithuania and then it bordered with Galicia. For over 100 years
        Belarus has been separate country but occupied by tsar
        administration and then had an autonomy as a People's republic.
        For ten years it has been formally and finally independent but
        really it is a horror to live there under Lukaszenka's control...,
        who is a graduate historian anyway.
        Most of former Galicia belongs to Ukraine now.
        One curious fact- the name was derived from a town Halicz,
        spelled as 'House'.

        Wojtek
        from Krakow
        (in Poland)Pozdrawiam,

        Wojciech Wilk
        606394566
        www.bog.prv.pl
        www.ggff.rpg.pl
      • dobrowol@if.uj.edu.pl
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 12, 2003
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 12, 2003
            In a message dated 7/12/2003 5:26:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            sig@yahoogroups.com writes:

            > Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:02:04 +0200
            > From: dobrowol@...
            > Subject: Re: Polish court?

            Thanks to everyone who has answered so far. I have two books of Polish
            history - "The Polish Way" by Adam Zamoyski, and "God's Playground - to 1796" by
            Norman Davies. And Wojciech, thanks for the help, but I can't speak Polish
            (yet!). I am currently trying to learn latin, and then to Polish. So what did you
            say?

            Zygmunt Nadratowo "L/otrzyk (the rogue)"
            MOFIT, Mid/Northwoods/Talonval
            "One wishing to play must always attach himself to the most valorous of deed
            and reputation. Because...the glory of the victor depends on the valor of the
            vanquished." Manciolino, fencing master, 1531.

          • P&MSulisz
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 12, 2003
              > Also, does anyone know where I can find a record of when nobles were
              > alive and reigning (other than kings)?

              I have some trouble with understanding of you question. The only person who
              could legitimately reign in Poland not beeing a king was so called
              'interrex' primate of Poland.
              Please specify the period are you interested in, and I will try to help you.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 13, 2003
                Thanks for the updates. I got stuck in an American history tract and have been reading Polish history on the side (which means a chapter every two months or so! bleah!)

                Casey